Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pst file filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenodorf

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
Hi

I've been asked to go through three pst files each with multiple folders etc going back over the pas two years.

I need to carry out three extractions on two "from" email addresses and on text within the message

Is there any software to do this?

thanks

Ian

I don't know of any such utility. If it exists, it will be found at Slipstick - the fount of all knowledge for Outlook and Exchange.

Personally, I think you will have to use Outloook itself, open a new account and import them all into that account. Not an enviable task!

Regards: tf1

Hi

Thanks for that, I checked the site and it appears you are correct. Havr to do it the long way!

cheers

Ian

I would create Rules ("check messages when they arrive") to assign a category to messages that meet your criteria. You will need several rules.

"Run rules now" allows you to pick your rules, select which folder to apply them to - including PST files and the option to apply to sub-folders.

First run rules to assign messages to a category. Once all rules have been run, THEN use the category to select all mail meeting the criteria and move them to a separate folder. (You could use a rule to do this). This approach will avoid you ending up with multiple copies of the same email in your results folder just because the same message meets more than one criteria.

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back