Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PST file creation does not release mail server space !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheshs

Programmer
Nov 29, 2002
IN
Anybody,
We are using Microsoft Outlook 2000 as the mail client and MS Exchange Server as the mail server.
We have limited space on the mail server (7000 MB).

This space gets used up in say 6 months.
I need to create a .pst file.
I have used the export function of outlook to create a pst file.

Why does this not download the mails from the mail server to the pst, thus freeing up space on the mail server?
My mails have started bouncing back as there is no space left on the server?
I think I will have to manually delete the mails … Is this the only way it is done?

Is there something wrong with my understanding or do I have to select some other option.

Please advice.

Thanks and Regards,
Mahesh Sankpal.

If I'm not mistaken, the Export option doesn't move mail, it copies it - you would need to manually delete from the server what you have copied to the PST.

Don't forget to empty your deleted items folder, and it helps to get rid of old Sent Items too.

Do you really have 7Gb of mail or did you mean 700Mb???

smoss51,
Thanks for replying.
Oops!!! It's 70000 KB or 70 MB and not 7000 MB.

I was trying to find out how to download mails ....
Will the tools --> services option help if I add a personal folder there .......

I mean is there any way to download messages as and when I receive them from the mail server so as to keep the space vacant .......

Mahesh

Sure, you can change the location that your new mail is delivered to, if you have a PST file in your Mail Profile, you can select the PST file as the default delivery location. It's on the Delivery tab of the Mail Profile (in Control Panel, Mail).

Delievry to a PST file is a bit risky, though - PST files are more suited to archives of old email, not your current stuff. You could explore the AutoArchive feature, which moves stuff out of folders to a PST file after a certain period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back