Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSPX text tool is shrinking font depending on project...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyMocha

Technical User
Jan 21, 2007
US
Ok, this is a really weird one. I have been using PSPX for a few months now (after saying I was going to stick with 7). I have noticed that depending on what image I am working on, the text tool is shrinking the font down to much smaller proportions than what it should be. For example, if I open up a new blank canvas and apply the SAME text settings, it will appear as it should do and not all shrunk down. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it is very irritating!

This evening, I was going to make an alpha. I put the abc in place, shuffled them a little closer together and then went to apply the next couple of letters on that line. Even on the SAME file, it decided to shrink the font down. I couldn't even up the ratio to make it look anywhere near as nice. It makes the edges all fuzzy and everything.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am not sure, but am starting to lean towards the theory that it is something to do with the "remember text" button that I have checked. It has more of a "vague recollection" more than remembering LOL

Hoping it's not just me who has been having problems with this and that there is a fix for it.

Oh yeah and I just joined *waves at everyone*

Cheers, Minty

I've never had that problem with text on the same file but you might expect the size to vary if the the file is a different size to the one that you first applied the text to (I hope that makes sense). So on a file that is 600 x 600 with a font size of 10 would look big but on a file that is 6000 x 6000 it would look small. Do you think this is what's happening?

Learn something new every day
Using Crystal 8, Oracle Database Paint Shop Pro X1 Nikon D80

No, it could be a file of similar proportions. The font will shrink down and look fuzzy round the edges (not crisp and refined as it does on the other file). When it happened, I open a new file and use the text tool again and the font will go back to the size it SHOULD be on the project. It seems to do it when there are layers on a project, which there invariably are! It's very frustrating as I want to see how the text will look on the project itself. I don't want to have to copy and paste it over to try it out: it just takes up more time. I never had this bug occur with 7 and am wondering if it is going to be something that can be fixed.

The font changing size on the same file happened for the first time yesterday. I fiddled and messed with numerous things trying to fix it and even making a copy using shift D just duplicated the error. I wondered if it was because I hadn't saved my work recently, so I saved everything I had done just to make sure that wasn't it. I have unchecked the box to remember the text and will see if this has any effect on it.

Thanks for trying to help out though: most appreciated.

Cheers, Minty

I see you are still on PSP X. You might try downloading the 30 day trial of XI to see if it still happens.

It's very odd as I've never heard of this happening before.

I have already tried XI and didn't like it. I'd really like to know how to fix the bug in X! LOL

Minty, I'm not sure it's a bug.Have you tried resetting all your settings to default. I don't have PSP at work so you may have to search a bit based on my instructions. Somewhere under File is Preferences and somewhere in there is the opportunity to reset everything. This means that all defaults will be set.

If that doesn't work you could try re-installing. I've had to do that before. Try just installing over the top of the version you've got already and if that doesn't work then I would uninstall it and then reinstall.

I shouldn't have to re-install the program for this bug. It IS a bug for sure. Just like 7 had its bugs...

I will try to write to Corel and see if they can offer any suggestions. When things were run by Jasc, their tech team were very good at helping to solve problems.

Thanks for trying.

Cheers

Minty.

It might be something that has affected PSP since you installed something else or perhaps since installing and uninstalling XI. If so resetting preferences or reinstalling may be the only way to fix it.

Jasc were good although the new people answer fairly quickly too. I asked a question last week about RAW file and got an answer next day. Bearing in mind that we are probably in different timezones I thought it was pretty good.

Andy (Andrea)

PSPXI was on a different PC, not the one I have X on.... ;)

Minty

Ok, scrub that one then but how about another program since installing PSP X? :)

I have installed other things since putting X on, but the problem has been occuring from day one. I know, I am a hopeless cause! LOL

Minty

Did you install all updates for X (10.0.1, 10.0.2 and 10.0.3)?

Can you post a screenshot of your problem? If you can, also show us the settings used by the Text Tool.

Ok well I no longer have to worry about this issue because since installing Vista, my PSPX refuses to even load, let alone allow me to use any of the tools in it! Thanks Corel, thanks Bill Gates/Microsoft/Vista! Love y'all!

Oh crikey, another good reason not to install Vista.

Poor Minty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back