Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ps2 connector problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajax288

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
CA
Hi, the following problem is happenning on a pentium II 333 mhz.

When the I start the computer, there's noise. It's a noise like when you keep pushing a key for too long and the system wont boot correctly. It's freezing before I get to win98 desktop. So I tried to boot with a known working keyboard and the same thing happenned. Is it possible that the motherboard ps2 connector may be broken without being touched? If so can I plug my keyboard elsewhere like in the com 1 and use some driver to make it run or plug it in the USB. By the way, I can't get to the bios and also interesting, when I boot without keyboard I get to win98 desktop perfectly and the bios dont tells me that there's no keyboard connected.

Try looking at the Driver you are using for the keyboard??

Look in the control Panel.

Maybe someone changed it.

If you dont have a keyboard I would think it would have a problem.

Sometimes you can get the Mouse and the keyboard plugs mixed up. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

everything's fine in the control panel. And the plugs are not mixed up. I don't think changing driver in windows would do something because, the problem happen when i start the computer before windows have the chance to load.

I can't press the DEL key to get in BIOS because the keyboard's not responding.

Unless you have some real specific changes to the Bios settings that you couldn't replicate, why not take the cmos battery out, this should reset the bios to it's original state. If that is not possible, then get hold of a USB keyboard, they're not too expensive, but unless your bios supports them, you probably wouldn't get into the bios with it.

Have you at any time taken the ps/2 cable out of the back of the computer when the system was on? Plugged it back in when the system was on? This is a known issue and can ruin your ps/2 connection for good. I hope this isn't the case for yours.

Lori ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

I was running excel when the noise started. I didn't touch the keyboard and it started by itself. I turned off the machine and restarted it. The noise was still there. I did reboot 3 or 4 times and same thing. After that i unplugged and replugged the keyboard while the machine was on. Same thing again. So that's why i think it was broken before i did something to it. Also weird, when I start the computer without keyboard, the bios doesn't notice it. It continu to boot normaly. Maybe this keyboard check up has been disabled in the bios, i will check and tell you.

If you want, you can pick up an adapter to convert the ps/2 to serial. Adapter should cost five or six dollars if you can't get hold of one.

KK

If clearing CMOS doesn't help, as suggested earlier, then it sounds like the keyboard controller on the mobo has gone belly up. Try the keyboard on another machine, and NEVER remove or INSERT a keyboard or PS/2 device on a mobo that is running.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Finaly I bougth a USB keyboard and installed it under windows. Now everything's running fine. But can you tell me how and why clearing the CMOS would change something to the keyboard controller.

Thanks for your help guys.

It wouldn't do anything as far as the keyboard controller circuit is concerned, but other settings in Bios could be conflicting, or the Cmos memory could have got corrupted. Clearing the Cmos resets it to it's original configuration, thereby clearing any errors. It's one of those things that often pays dividends when troubleshooting peripheral errors that have no immediately obvious cause :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back