Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PS file from PM 7.0 on Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maureens

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
CA
I can’t create a PS file from Pagemaker 7.01 (or 6.5) with Win XP.
(the doc is simple one page no graphics or pictures)
I used file’ print – then Warning “ADISTILL.PPD not found” came up default PPD will be substituted.
I select a PS printer and Set the PPD to Distiller 3011.104
I check off error handling and select the save location.
Pagemaker indicates a file is being created then when I check the folder no PS file is there.

OS is XP home addition Clean install on a new machine
I am logged on as an adminastrater
512 Ram, AMD athlon XP 1800+, and Radeon 8500 Video
Machine and printer are stand alone

Virus Scan and fire wall are off.

The PS files create fine on Win 98 Machine.
Distiller on XP machine works with PS files from the 98 Machine.
All other functions work fine on XP Machine, except when trying to install the OBDC Driver pack 3.0 off the pagemaker disc I got a error “the configuration of the OBDC Microsoft foxpro driver (*.dbf) driver failed”

Action taken to date – without results.

Uninstalled PS driver and printers.
Then - Installed PS Drivers / printers
Apple Laserwriter 2 NT v47.0 (used by my publisher)
Generic Postscript Pri (from Adobe)
HP Laserjet 1200 series PS (I have the printer)
Acrobat Distiller (as a printer - can’t remember why??)
All use pscript5.dll driver
I followed the various advice from Adobe forms and notices.

I hope I missed some thing easy, but I don’t think so………..

Maureen...

That is an odd problem. What happens if you File>Export to PDF?

You might try uninstalling PM, deleting all temp files, copying your PM install disk to your hard drive and installing from the hard drive. See if that eliminates that error. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

When going direct to export PDF I get an error "can not print to Postscript file"

Besides the PM folder and emptying the temp folders are there any special hidden files I need to find ?

The user log in and Admin are both the ones the program was install with.

I do use a partitioned drive with program on C and Data on D - it caused no problems with win 98 se.

thanks for your help.

What happens if you select General under Distiller for your selected printer? Have you gone to the website of the Printer mfg, and downloaded and installed the latest drivers for XP? Same for the Adobe PPD... go to Adobe.com and make sure you have the latest PPDs.

I have PM on my C drive, all date on F or G (partitioned)drives, never ran into a problem. Opening and editing the doc from a network drive is another story altogether, and not recommended. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Hi, Maureen,

> “ADISTILL.PPD not found”

What is the EXACT error message? The PPD file for Acrobat Distiller is ADIST5.PPD (Distiller 3011.104). Do you have ADISTL5.PPD in the folder [PMDIR]\RSRC\[LANGUAGE]\PPD4?

Does this help?
"Error: 'Can not find the AcrobatPPD. The plug-in...is unable to continue' when Exporting to PDF from PageMaker 7.0"

> Pagemaker 7.01

Note that Adobe state that this fault was corrected with the update to PM7.0.1. Which version of PM7 do you have? If you have PM7.0, did you install the update when you re-installed PM7?

Iechyd da! John
12:46 18/01/03 GMT

Thanks to all for the assistance. The problem is solved.
Clean install of XP (again) data stayed intact on "D".
Reinstalled PM 7.01 and conpleted all updates.
A pain but it worked...Thanks again.

Hi, Maureens,

> The problem is solved

Hooray!! Happy PDFing!

Iechyd da! John
21:56 25/01/03 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back