Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PS/2 Mouse Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexterdoo

Technical User
Jul 19, 2003
US
Win 98SE computer won't detect any PS/2 mouse (but there's no problem with any mouse when using the standard comport).

I had this problem once before but can't remember what I did to fix it ??? I really don't believe it's the motherboard and wonder if there's a way to test the PS/2 port???

I tried the "add new hardware" in Control Panel but everytime, I got the "Windows did not detect ..." message. :-(

Anyone remember what the easy fix to this was ? Thanks in advance!

Howdy:

Boot into BIOS and make sure PS/2 is enabled in there..

Murray

That would be too easy to miss, SESaskDFC! :) Did that first!

More help pleeeze ......

Have you tried booting in safe mode and checking the device manager for duplicate entries of mouse devices? And deleted them all to force a re-check?

I didn't do it from Safe Mode but I did check Device Manager and delete the Mouse to "force a re-check". It just gave me the "Windows didn't detect a mouse..." message! :-(

If there aren't any conflicts in device manager, might be a bad ps/2 port on the mainboard.

You could pop in a spare hard drive (disconnect the real one), and initialize windows setup. If there is no mouse there, then its a bios or mainboard problem. If it was working, and it is still enabled in bios, I suspect a bad port.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

dexterdoo;
you seem to be leaving out a lot of info ...
mobo specs? (just model year anyway)
ATX or AT?
Compaq crud or similar?
Problem in the Past?
Reinstall 98? ...ever?....system restore disks?

forget the COM ports -- they have nothing to do with it -- unLESS you're using an Adapter of somekind...R u?

Are you getting the legacy detection on POST? along with the keyboard?
look in System.ini (Start > Run SYSEDIT)
under [Boot]
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
under [386enh]
mouse=*vmouse,msmouse.vxd

Boot into Safe Mode and remove all instances as previously mentioned

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Some of the older mice had a driver disk which included a test programme - look on any old disks you've got...

When I've wanted to test a PS/2 mouse port I've loaded the mouse driver then run a now rather old programme called CHECKIT. Unfortunately this isn't freeware, but there maybe a similar free application out there somewhere.

Good luck.

ROGER.

Try going into safe mode then and deleting all mouse profiles. Windows 98 maintains them all there. I know it sounds a bit empirical but it works for me, give it a shot.

Just remember that when you delete the mouse (from safe mode), it won't work anymore (to exit and re-boot). Keyboard: Alt F4 exits any Windows programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back