Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pruning and Purging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
What is the difference between pruning and purging in ARCserve?

Purging will clear the whole thing out whereas pruning is specified in Arcserve Server Admin where you can specify how much you want pruned. for Example. On our project, all servers prune the Arcserve db every day ay 16:00 and anything over 30 days is binned.

Hope this helps

Daniel

Pruning a database removes the data from the ARCserve database but does not decrease the size of the database.
Purging the database will actually remove the empty holes that were created when pruning was done therefore decreasing the size of your Arcserve database.

-Shawn

Stupid question that I should know the answer to, but where do I go to prune (i.e. Pack) the database? Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

Nevermind... I meant Pack, not Prune and I found my answers
For anyone out here that cares...

Prune
What: Removes old entries from the RAIMA database.
How to: From ArcServeIT Server Admin, click the Config button (wrenck and sprocket), select Database Engine tab.
Problem: Leaves blank spots in the database causing it to eat disk space.

Pack
What: Compacts the RAIMA database to re-claim disk space lost due to Pruning
How to: Run the DBMGR.EXE program from the ARCSERVEIT directory on the ArcServeIT server. Sorry, CA didn't include this one in the StartMenu icons. I suggest you put it there.
Problem: This should only be done after a Repair has been done. Repairs can take a while, esp. if you do a check first.

I suggest that ALL ArcServeIT Admins take a look at Document # 16112 on the CA website.

Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back