Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy Servers for home use 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust13

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
Any suggestions on a Proxy Server software or hardware for sharing Internet connections at home? ----------------------------------------
Is George Lucas Kidding...

There are several $200-$300 hardware solutions for at home or small offices.

I have a D-Link box that has a four port ethernet switch, a wireless base, a print sharing port, a firewall, dhcp and dmz features. Setup was easy.

Cisco and about a hundred others make similar products for internet sharing. You could also put Norton Personal Firewall software on each pc, but that does create more drag than a firewall/internet sharing device.

There are several $200-$300 hardware solutions for at home or small offices.

I have a D-Link box that has a four port ethernet switch, a wireless base, a print sharing port, a firewall, dhcp, address translation and dmz features. Setup was easy.

Cisco and about a hundred others make similar products for internet sharing. You could also put Norton Personal Firewall software on each pc, but that does create more drag than a firewall/internet sharing device.

Don't buy anything if all you want is a proxy server to hook up your Internet connections. I will give you a site where you can download one that works great. I don't have the site name where I am at today but I will get it for you tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input. As you maybe able to tell, I'm trying to share my broadband internet connection at home without paying the ridiculous $7.95 extra per computer per month. I'm not sure how to approach implementing proxy server/internet sharing at home, and appreciate all input. ----------------------------------------

Well, if you want something fast and easy go to because they have a pretty good proxy server for free. It does lack some of the security that most people want especially if you are online 24/7. If that is the case I would break down and get a DSL/Router box for around $120 and hook up your computers with that. I would read up on whatever you decide to use and make sure it will fit your needs. For instance, if you are a power user analogs proxy might not be the best for you. Hope this helps.

I'm currently running AnalogX proxy and ZoneAlarm Pro with a cable modem to share up to four networked computers on a home network, and it works great. Only downside is that the computer running the proxy software has to be switched on for the others to access the cable modem. Just for info :)

Hey Paulwood,

Have you tried any other analogx products? I have only used the proxy but I was thinking of getting the POW! and CGISearch and test them. Just wondering if you have used any of these products. Thanks... :)

Jags22,

I use POW! quite often, it's simple to configure and works. I only run it when I'm at a site that uses popups a lot, rather than all the time. I haven't tried CGISearch, but it's probably simple to set up and use, just like all AnalogX stuff, and no, I'm not on commission :p

I simply went out and bought a cheap Netgear router for $30. Configured it to hand out the IPs to my home network, and IP forward all requests to the Cable MODEM or "Spoof" as it calls it.

The Diagram:

Cable MODEM
|
Netgear Router
|
SMC 8 Port Switch
| | | |
Home Computers

The network has been up for over a month now and runs great. Thanks for everyone's input.

----------------------------------------

I agree. I use a Linksys Router with a 4 port switch and have been very happy with it. You can use ICS if you are using Windows 2000, but that gives you no added security. Don't forget AV software!!!

Here's a late entry to this thread.

I use Proxomitron as a web proxy (html), which can be downloaded for free. It has the added benefit of being able to filter the incoming web pages, java script, etc., to remove pop-ups etc. You can also write your own filters for it. I have my kids PCs go through Proxomitron on my PC, which also gives me the added benefit of being able to watch what they are accessing and control which web sites they can access by using the hosts file on my PC. Another similar proxy is Web Washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back