Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy Server on Win2K 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

codo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2001
ID
I want to make my win2K server as a proxy server so my clients can access the internet. What should i do with my server and my client? thanx guys

Basically you can do two things. Either use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). This is quite good for small networks, anything over 20 I would'nt recommend. Or you can go for a package called ISA Server. I would personally recommend you go for this. It's easy to install and configure and has security in mind as it allows you to block ports, etc .This is fine but it costs money! If you're on a tight budget go for ICS or look at something like VSOCKS Light! (free proxy server) - only thing is make you're not running a DNS server on your Win2k server when running this. For the clients; look at documentation. Hope I've been of some assistance

Basically you can do two things. Either use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). This is quite good for small networks, anything over 20 I would'nt recommend. Or you can go for a package called ISA Server. I would personally recommend you go for this. It's easy to install and configure and has security in mind as it allows you to block ports, etc .This is fine but it costs money! If you're on a tight budget go for ICS or look at something like VSOCKS Light! (free proxy server) - only thing is make you're not running a DNS server on your Win2k server when running this. For the clients; look at documentation. Hope I've been of some assistance

I would personally go for RRAS, NAT. Ive been wrestling with for the past few days, and have finally tamed it.
After using Proxy myself, i think NAT is the way to go.

Thanks for your help, I already tried with ICS but my client still can't access the Internet.
Can you tell me how to set RRAS,NAT for my server? i'm really new for all this things but still couldn'g solve the problem. Thx guys

Follow these steps to install the NAT Service..its easy!

Click Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > RRAS. When the RRAS window opens, right-click on the name of your server and select Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access. After the service is installed and running, you are ready to install NAT.In the RRAS window, right-click on IP Routing and select General, then select New Routing Protocol followed by Network Address Translation. You will have to add at least two network interfaces. As you add each interface you can choose whether it is "public" (attached to the Internet) or "private" (attached to the internal network).

Now we can configure some additional options for NAT. Right-click Network Address Translation and select Properties. The NAT Properties window will appear with four tabs to choose from: General, Translation, Address Assignment, and Name Resolution.Logging properties are set under the General tab. There are four fairly self-explanatory types to choose from.You can set the timeout values for TCP and UDP sessions under the Translation tab. The default value is 1440 minutes, or 24 hours for TCP, whereas the default for UDP sessions (which are connectionless) is 1 minute.The aptly named Address Assignment tab is the place where you can choose whether you'd like NAT to automatically assign IP addresses by using DHCP or not. If you check the box indicating you want this, a mini-DHCP server called the "DHCP Allocator" will hand out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range with a default 24-bit mask.

Under the Name Resolution tab on NAT Properties, you can have NAT act as a DNS or WINS proxy agent for your private clients. The WINS proxy doesn't have all the functionality of the full-blown W2K WINS Proxy Agent. NAT clients believe that the WINS proxy is their WINS server (the address is handed out by the DHCP allocator as a WINS server), but the WINS proxy simply drops name registrations made by private clients. You will need to have an alternate method of resolving names within your private network (LMHOSTS) if it is divided into broadcast segments. I simply prefer to avoid the hassle and use a standard DHCP server and have it configure clients with the address of a standard WINS server (the DHCP server must specify the IP address of the NAT server as the default gateway). If you want to use your own DHCP server, make sure the "Automatically assign IP addresses by using DHCP" checkbox is cleared – this turns of NAT's DHCP Allocator.Configuring Your NAT Clients:Okay, now the easy part. Open the Network Applet on your client machines and enter the IP address of your NAT server as the gateway in the client's TCP/IP properties (if you are using manual addressing). If you are using the DHCP Allocator, configure the client machine for DHCP and it will pull down the necessary settings.
Or you can manually assign IP addresses and set the NAT IP as the Gateway on the clients. Thats it..your done !

u can install analog proxy X and set the client PC internet settings go to intrnet properties and connection click on lan and server name= PC name where proxy are installed and port = number describe in readme file bydefaulf http port address is 6588.

Thank's guys, i'm in the middle of trying all of your replied,hope it can works (sorry about my english :) )

There's a few things that still confused me,
1. my IP address for network interfaces is :
192.168.0.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0, should i used 192.168.0.1 as Default Gateway or just leave it empty?
2. My server has 2 network interfaces but i using only 1 network interface, what should i choose for this NAT interface properties "public" or "Private"?
2. in NAT Properties =>Address Assigment tab, should i check "Automatically assign IP addresses by using DHCP" option? (im running DHCP server on this computer) and what is the IP address fot this option?is it 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1 ?
3. If my client using static IP address what is the default gateway?

So far my server can connect the Internet but my client couldn't. Thax for your help

On the server, you will wish to assign the public connection to the interface that connects you to the internet. If this is through a modem, you may have to create an interface in RRAS to connect to the internet through your modem (similar to creating a regular dialup connection) and then assign it as the public interface. If you are using a connection like a DSL or Cable Router, then your public connection will be the network card that connects to the router. Your private connection is the network card that is used to connect to your local network. You've said it was assigned the fixed ip address of 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0. arnold8 says, "The aptly named Address Assignment tab is the place where you can choose whether you'd like NAT to automatically assign IP addresses by using DHCP or not. If you check the box indicating you want this, a mini-DHCP server called the "DHCP Allocator" will hand out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range with a default 24-bit mask." If you already have a DHCP service running, then do not check this tab. You will wish to make sure that the DHCP service is handing out options to define your default gateway (your server running NAT, meaning 192.168.0.1). You will also want it to give the option for your DNS (192.168.0.1). If this server is your domain controller, you have should already have DNS installed. In the DNS, you should delete the root folder (one that begins with ".") and then you will be able to create a forward to the DNS server for your ISP in DNS (dial them up with a dial up account and run ipconfig /all at a dos prompt to get their ip address). Your DNS will now forward resolution requests out to the internet. On your clients, you can use dynamic addressing and let DHCP take care of assigning your addresses for you. Make sure your scope is compatible with your server's ip address (you can hand out 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.254 from what you've told me so far).

thank's guys for your replied, but there's something i still confused.
1. what is IP address for NAT server?is it 192.168.0.0(like on address assigment of NAT properties?
2. my local area connection(NIC) IP address for the server is
192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0
what is the default gateway for my server's NIC? should i leave it blank or use 192.168.0.1 too?
3. if i want to dial to ISP, which modem connection should i use, from Network and DialUp or from Routing interface of RRAS??
4. on my client computer, i assign IP automaticaly from DHCP server, what is the gateway for the client?
5. how about the internet explorer connection setting?

well after i tried all your replied this is the result of my RRAS
1. Routing Interfaces
LAN & Demand Dial Interface Type Conection state
Loopback Loopback connected
Internal Internal connected
Modem Demand-dial unreachable
Local Area connection Dedicated connected
3. Ports
name Device status
---------------------------------------------
WAN miniport etc......
U.S robotics Modem Inactive
Direct Parallel (LPT1) Pararel Inactive
2. IP Routing:
*General:
Interface Type IP Address
------------------------------------------------
Modem demand-dial not available
Loopback loopback 127.0.0.1
Local Area connection dedicated 192.168.0.1
Internal internal not available

*Static Route
Destination Network Mask Gateway interface
-------------------------------------------------------
0.0.0.0. 0.0.0.0 none modem

*DHCP Relay Agent
INterface Relay mode
===============================
Modem enabled
Local Area connection enabled
Internal unknown

*IGMP
Interface Protocol state Querier address
-------------------------------------------------------
Loacl area conection proxy up 0.0.0.0.

*NAT
Interface total mappings etc....
-----------------------------------------
Local Area Conection 0
Modem 0

*note)
a. on NAT Properties i leave the "Automatically assign ip address by using DHCP" unchecked and

the leave IP address and subnet mask by default(192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0)
b. On name server properties myserver(local) on General tab i chose Enble this computer as a:

Router and Lan and deman-dial routing option.

on DHCP setting:
I'm running DHCP server for this server with ip range 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.50 (exclusion range

192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.5). IP address for the router(gateway) =192.168.0.1, DNS server

192.168.0.1, DNS domain name = abc

my IP address for local area connection (LAN Card) :
192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 with default gateway 0.0.0.0
Preffered DNS server :192.168.0.1, secondary DNS server 202.154.2.1 (from my ISP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back