Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy server on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansonng

MIS
Feb 16, 2003
AU
Hi All,

I know nothing about linux basically because I am a windows guy. Now my boss want me to setup a proxy server on a linux machine and I am stucked here.

The situation now is we have a linux machine for this purpose and I can see from the login screen it is a red hat 7.3(valhalla). The problem is I dont have the password for to login this machine. I've tried all my ways to obtain the password from the previous engineer who setup this machine but still couldn't get it. Do I have to reinstall? And if I want to do so, which version should I install? Any guide on the net for the installation as I am totally newbie here...

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Red Hat isn't any better than any other linux distro for use as a firewall. He'll need to write a few routing table rules and a document or two on subnetworking. That's all.

Subnetworking docs at
Linux kernel (fully proxy capable) at

If you are using GRUB

Select kernel that you wish to boot and type e for edit. You will be presented with a list of items in the configuration file for the title you just selected.

Select the line that starts with kernel and type e to edit the line.

Go to the end of the line press the Spacebar and then type single. Press Enter to exit edit mode.

Back at the GRUB screen, type b to boot into single user mode.

If you are using lilo

At the lilo prompt type
linux single

The kernel will load up and you will be in a root shell. Now just use

passwd root

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back