Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy Server & Net Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalberti

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
IT
I need to map a remote internet computer driver using NET USE (NET USE Q: \\IP.IP.IP.IP\C$)
No problem if I do it from the Proxy Server....
...but when I do it from a Proxy Client I get error 53.
I suppose I need to setup the winsock proxy server in order to support the right protocol....but which is the right protocol?
Is there a way to get what I need?
Thanks,
Luca

You used the example of NET USE Q: \\IP.IP.IP.IP\C$ . If you are really trying to use a hidden or adminsitrative $ share the account that you are attempting it under will have to have adminstrator rights - that group is the only one that can access the root admin shares used in your example.

Hope that helps --

Chad Stiller, MCSE
Ramcom Technology
cds@ramcom.com

Sorry, my sample was incomplete.
The complete command I'm using is "NET USE Q:\IP.IP.IP.IP\C$ password /USER:Administrator".
No problem with user rights.
The problem is that I'm not able to map the driver from a workstation with proxy client installed.

Hope this help to understand...

Luca
RAMCube S.r.l.
luca.alberti@amcube.it

Hmmmmm... I've never had problems with net use commands with WSP present, at least not mapping to a regular share within the network.

Your second example helps clarify the matter - thanks much. One thing you may want to look at is passing the username parameter with the domainname - otherwise I believe it will assume the local system administrator account, not the domain level admin account. Note that this option is only available from NT/2K clients.

The syntax would be: NET USE Q: \\IP.IP.IP.IP\C$ password /USER:\domainname\username

I must admit that I don't use the password option much and after reviewing it within the Windows help files it looks like it is used when a specfic password is assigned to the share, as opposed to a user account password. Might be part of your problem.

Another thing to try - disable the WSP client in the control panel, reboot, and try your net use commands again. If they work as is then you know it is in fact the proxy client, and if not you know it is something with the command structure from the workstation.

Good Luck!

Chad Stiller, MCSE
Ramcom Technology
cds@ramcom.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back