Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy Server 2.0 and Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2005
US
I am trying to set up a Windows XP Pro client with internet access on my NT 4.0 based network with Proxy 2.0. When I try to download the mspclnt from the share it says, "Error in registration database" then the client software will refuse to complete the installation. I don't think the Service Pack has been installed for it but not sure if that will make a difference either. Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

hi nicetryserver,

What do you mean by "download the mspclnt"? when you map to the folder on the proxy server, all you should need to do is to double click the mspclnt executable to install onto the workstation. You shouldn't need to download anything yourself.

Other than that, has the machine been added to the domain? And if you are installing as the user, do you have system policies in place or locked down local user permissions to prevent users installing things on their local machines?

I have to do some research on system policies to be honest with you, I am more familiar with Group Policy on Windows 2k Server than NT 4.0 system policies. Right now you have to be an local administrator to install any software on the client machines (XP and 2000) but if you are still using Win98 clients which are quite a few installing software is wide open. I have mapped the share and after verifying on a Win98 I can install the client software(mspclnt) just fine but the problem seems to lie in the one XP client which leads me to believe that the 'Error in the Register Database' actually lies in the XP client? Especially since I have a salesman with and XP Pro laptop with no problems on it. Does that help?

You could try and look at the

internet options - Connections - LAN Settings

on the XP Pro laptop that's working, and replicating that configuration onto the client workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back