Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2002
US
Hi - I am using a small server set up, using MS Small Office Server 4.5. Everything seems to be running great except the client workstations are having problems accessing certain web sites in the internet.

Just wondering if someone can tell me how I go in to MS Proxy Server and open ALL ports so there are no internet access difficulties.

I have AOL set up on one client computer that cannot be used because it can't find the internet connection. I have changed the settings in AOL to reflet the new port 80 which is currently the default for internet access and it still doesn't work.

I also have stamps.com on the client computer that attempts to access the internet but a "Proxy Authentication" box comes up and asks the user for their username and password. When I try to type in the network username and password, it doesn't work and the dialog box keeps popping up.

I guess I'm just not understanding the Proxy Server environment and want the client computers set to access any internet web site or internet based application.

Perhaps someone may know of a URL that gives step-by-step instructions on this.

Thanks a lot
David

The easiest way to grant as much access as possible behind Proxy Server is to install the WSP client on each client computer. In Winsock properties on Proxy Server give each user Unlimited Access. Doing this will give just about as much internet access "freedom" as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back