Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy client still used in ISA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2004
GB
I have been using MS Proxy 2 for a while now and am about to move to ISA 2004, does ISA still use a proxy client to allow extra protocols eg FTP and SMTP?
This feature made it easy to only allow internet access via port 80 on client PC's as if it wasn't installed all they could use was port 80.

Cheers.

Yes, with a new name (Firewall client). To avoid a new installation in the client machines I've tested the old Proxy.20 proxy client vs a Isa Server 2000 and it runs correctly. I think it is running with 2004 too, but I think it's better to install the new "firewalll client" sin ce it is improved.

Thanks again.

If i don't install the client on PC's will users be able to access port 80 only the same as with proxy 2?

No problem with Webproxy clients. The only thing that you must consider is the communication port betwen ISA and the client. With Proxy 2.0 default port is 80, with ISA Server is 8080, you must choose were to change. At the ISA side or at the Internet Explorer Connection (in every client).

Thanks as i set IE settings with GP this shouldn't be a probelm.

Should it?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back