Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy and mail setup nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekke85

Technical User
Dec 7, 2003
GB
Hi

I have installed Fedora Core 5, i have setup a squid proxy that works great. I also noticed that squid does not handle pop3 and smtp. So I need to still be able to send and recieve mail trough my clients, but i do not want to setup a mail server. If anybody knows of a way i can do this and still use my ips's mail server, caould u please point me in the right direction. I had a go at send mail, postfix and exim with not a lot of sucsess. If there is a good howto that u might know of, please let me know.

Did you even try using your mail clients?

I doubt Squid was default configured to handle all outgoing traffic. Most likely your traffic to ports 25, 110, 443, etc is unregulated by squid.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I have tried my clients on this box, they don't work. As far as squid go's, i have added port 25 & 110 as trusted ports but still nothing. I when trough some of the FAQ on the squid site and they said squid is a webapplication and not a mailling program.

Can't you use NAT through iptables to do this? i.e. not proxy, but just redirect the traffic?

Annihilannic.

i am not sure how to set that up, if you know of a nice howto i can read to make this a bit clear, i would really love to get this working

/etc/shorewall/rules should hold the key (I think Fedora is still using that)
The line
Code:
ACCEPT <internal zone> all tcp 25,110
Should allow your clients to reach the servers

Here is a quick, very quick, almost not recommended

Code:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -0 your_external_interface -j MASQUERADE
then execute

Code:
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

then get yourself a netfilter/iptables manual as you will need to secure your server a bit more.

The lines above will redirect traffic without any control. Basically like in a windoz server environment.

Cheers

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back