Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy 2.0 and XP Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasaniDrinker

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
US
I have MS PROXY 2.0 running on WinNT(SP6+) SBS box as our gateway to our internet connection.

Is it okay to run the setup for the Proxy Client on my XP Professional PC on the LAN? It installs fine to any Win9x systems, but i have never tried it on XP Pro.

I don't need to use the proxy to get out and browse the internet..but, I need to be able to use FTP programs for more than just "read" ability.

Thanks in advance!
DasaniDrinker

i dont suppose ms intended it. i figure they'd be assuming you'd have upgraded to isa server by now ;-)

only one way to find out... :)

or see how many people have had problems on google:

i've found your answe here:

1) YES Proxy 2.0 will work with XP as a client. No you don't have to set up
everyone as an administrator and yes you can log on to your domain.
2) The problem is with the directory permissions on the mspclnt directory -
change it to everyone - full access. ===============
Security Forums

Thanks BroWolf! I installed it and everything seems to be working fine. But, now the scanning client software (that I am using to log in to another server on the internet) is trying to ping themselves in order to verify their server is there. PING just does not seem to want to work. Can I turn this (Pinging IN and OUT) on for my user account through Proxy 2.0 settings? I don't use packet filtering either. I may could try to modify the settings for ICMP, but I just am not sure.

I always thought that opening up PING to an internal LAN is a security "no no". Their tech guys are looking into taking this requirement out in order for me to connect to them, but in the meantime...can I turn it on somehow?

Thanks again.

No, you cannot enable PING to work from a Proxy client on a properly configured network. I suppose it is possible IF all your clients have legitimate IP addresses, packet filtering is not enabled, IP forwarding IS enabled on the proxy server and the network is tuned so all clients point to the proxy's external NIC as default gateway. If that's what you want, though, you might as well throw out the proxy server. Barring that, PING would have to use WSP client for transport and that functionality was not built into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back