Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

provisioning 2811 from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccmjgb

Vendor
Feb 1, 2011
US
Hi,

Need to provision a 2811 from scratch. There is an existing 2811 being used as a voice gateway with FXS/DID cards to provide 8 station ports. There is a new 2811 with the exact same hardware components and I need to build it to operate the same way as the existing 2811. Can you please outline best practice on how to accomplish this? Is it a matter of simply copying the running config of the working unit and pasting into a CLI session of the new unit (with the exception of the IP & DN changes)? Thank you!

ccmjgb
- Job 38:36

You can use the same config. Just make sure you're changing ports, IP addresses, etc as needed. You can copy/paste. Just dont do the whole thing at once or the buffer will start dropping things from being put into the config.

I have found the "cleanest" way to do this is tftp off the starting config from the first router then tftp it on to the new router as the starting config then issue a reload (Without of course saving the running config). The router will then boot up to the new config.

Also make sure the routers are running the same ios or some lines may not be exactly the same. Also your boot statement will fail and it will boot to the first ios it sees on flash if you don't have the same ios that was running on the first router loaded on the new router's flash.

thank you very much for your input!! the new router was found to have a diff ios (IP base vs. IP voice).... so the first thing will be to get a copy of the IP voice ios from router A over to router B. I was told that this can be done via TFTP. Question: I have a laptop with a TFTP server/client and I can telnet into router A via LAN - what is the procedure for this? I've never copied the ios from a router over to PC or from PC to router using TFTP. Thank you for your help. Also, would it be helpful to remove the IP base ios from router B to ensure that it boots using IP voice ios once it's there or is there a work around?

first of all let me warn you that trying to upgrade from ip base to ip voice which is a higher version IOS and more expensive is illegal unless you have actually purchased it. That doesn't mean purchasing it for the original router but also for the new one.

That said here is a procedure on how to upgrade a 2800 router:

thank you for the input whycap... intersting that you mention this - had no idea... router A is in operation and a smartnet case was opened to replace the 2811 and the replacement came with the wrong IOS BASE instead of the correct IOS VOICE... it was mentioned that the unit would arrive fully assembled and ready for config, but it arrived in individual componenets... after assembly, some of the components did not show up in the boot up... then the IOS discrepancy was noticed... so I assumed that it would be fine to copy the original/correct IOS to the new - thank you all again for the input

if its a smartnet replacement via cisco tac, you are good to go to upgrade the IOS. The link attached on the previous post should guide step by step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back