Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProvideX ODBC problems...URGENT!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trifest

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have a large client that just recently upgraded all workstations to Windows XP. Running MAS 200 3.70. We have several Crystal Reports and Access databases that interface to MAS 200. The problem we're having is that both interface to MAS 200 very slowly. I mean it crawls. We installed the ProvideX driver version 3.31 and it sped up Crystal Reports but made Access a dog. We uninstall it and Access runs fine but Crystal is slow again. Anyone have problems with the ODBC.

trifest,

I have noticed on complicated Crystal reports that I can speed them up by changing a few simple things:

1. Look at your record selection criteria. If it is fairly long and complicated, write a formula for each line or section that returns TRUE or FALSE and call the formulas in the record selection instead.

2. Look at your groupings. If the groups are based on database fields instead of formulas, write a formula instead (with just the field for a formula).

3. Look at your database links. You should start on the left with the biggest (most records) database and link from there to the smaller databases. Also look at the type of links you are using to see if it is the best possibility. Usually a left-outer link will help to speed things up, but may also introduce some problems, so use with caution.

I have never understood why a formula works better then calling a db field directly, but it has helped quite a bit with some on the reports we use.

-kloeffler

I loved your suggestions! Can you just clarify the following? Perhaps give some examples?

1. Look at your record selection criteria. If it is fairly long and complicated, write a formula for each line or section that returns TRUE or FALSE and call the formulas in the record selection instead.

Here is a simple example. Say this is your record selection:

{SO1_SOEntryHeader.SalesOrderDate}=today
and
{SO1_SOEntryHeader.UsrId}<>&quot;MLE&quot;
and
{SO_90_UDF_Sales_Order.Promo_Code}<>&quot;FREE&quot;
and
{AR1_CustomerMaster.CustomerType}<>[&quot;RR&quot;,&quot;RT&quot;,&quot;RF&quot;,&quot;RY&quot;,&quot;RU&quot;,&quot;RO&quot;,&quot;SA&quot;,&quot;SC&quot;,&quot;SD&quot;,&quot;SH&quot;,&quot;SJ&quot;,&quot;SK&quot;
&quot;SL&quot;,&quot;SM&quot;,&quot;SB&quot;,&quot;SN&quot;,&quot;SE&quot;,&quot;SF&quot;,&quot;SG&quot;,&quot;SO&quot;,&quot;DD&quot;,&quot;DF&quot;,&quot;DS&quot;,&quot;DY&quot;]

Sometimes you can speed things up by making these four seperate formulas:

Formula1:
if {SO1_SOEntryHeader.SalesOrderDate}=today then true else false

Formula2:
if {SO1_SOEntryHeader.UsrId}<>&quot;MLE&quot; then true else false

Formula3:
if {SO_90_UDF_Sales_Order.Promo_Code}<>&quot;FREE&quot; then true else false

Formula4:
if {AR1_CustomerMaster.CustomerType}<>[&quot;RR&quot;,&quot;RT&quot;,&quot;RF&quot;,&quot;RY&quot;,&quot;RU&quot;,&quot;RO&quot;,&quot;SA&quot;,&quot;SC&quot;,&quot;SD&quot;,&quot;SH&quot;,&quot;SJ&quot;,&quot;SK&quot;
&quot;SL&quot;,&quot;SM&quot;,&quot;SB&quot;,&quot;SN&quot;,&quot;SE&quot;,&quot;SF&quot;,&quot;SG&quot;,&quot;SO&quot;,&quot;DD&quot;,&quot;DF&quot;,&quot;DS&quot;,&quot;DY&quot;] then true else false

Then for your record selection, simply call the formulas:

{@Formula1} and {@Formula2} and {@Formula3} and {@Formula4}

Again, I have never understood why this speeds things up, but it can make a big difference. (remember, this is a simple example, some of my reports have much bigger and uglier record selection criteria, and these are the reports that this makes a difference for.)

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back