Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

protocol adapter error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

golyg

Programmer
Jul 22, 2002
US
Hi all,
I am trying to upgrade an app to run on a xp box with oracle 9i.
After I have made some changes, including the correct oracle path on XP.
Now, I recieve an error "oracle 12560, TNS: protocol adapter error."

I'm not quite sure what this pertains to.

any ideas?

thanks

That is a rather generic message :
Code:
ORA-12560

ORA-12560TNS:protocol adapter error

Cause:A generic protocol adapter error occurred. 

Action:Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level transport errors. For further details, turn on tracing and re-execute the operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.

Have you confirmed that the Oracle service is running, that the listener is up and that the instance you want to connect to started?

What changes did you make and did it work before those were made?

[profile]

Hi there,
thanks for the reply.
In my install script, I have an .exe that sets up db alias, host name, etc. I thought that it was working correctly, silly me.
So i think that the reason it was throwing this error was because there was no tns name in tnsnames.ora pertaining to my call.
Here is the reason behind the problem:
The old .exe that sets up the oracle info was made to run on NT boxes and for Oracle 7. Now my .exe needs to run on XP and for Oracle 9i. It seems that the sqlnetv2.cfg file is no longer needed and my .exe wants to alter this file.
so now i must fix the .exe so it just wants to alter tnsnames.ora.

thats all,
thanks for your help,

Dude:

You can get Protocol Adapter Error because you specified an incorrect connect string.

Beq-Local and TCP-Loopback are examples of Protocol Adapters.

rev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back