Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protection program

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb1961

Technical User
Dec 10, 2002
RO
I want to protect a vfp exe. program which is intaled on a computer that it can not be copy and used even someoane else know the password>>>
I want to write in windows registry at the instalation procedure and check every time my program start if the user have the right to use my program

HI
See in this link, if that can help you :)
How to build a Password control for you application?
faq184-1262
:)

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

No way !!
Enyone who have the instalaton kit and knows the password can use the pogram'; I want "to bound" the program to a computer writing and reading information from WINDOWS registry.
Thanks

danb1961

Look in the Solutions (provided with VFP), under Windows API "Read and write VFP registry values". It uses the registry.prg (provided with VFP) to access the registry. Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

You could try Armadillo from which supports VFP. It is both a licensing and copy protection software.

It has a hardware locking feature allows you to "lock" a registration code to a specific machine. The code will only work on that machine, or an exact duplicate of it.

And an evaluation copy can be downloaded from the site.

HTH

I have no idea how it's done, but a 3rd party piece of software we use somehow uses the serial number of the hard disk as part of its key.

Only discovered this the other day when my hard disk died and I had to reinstall the software. The original password no longer enabled the application, and I had to go through a process of re-registering with the new info! "I love work. I can sit and stare at it for hours..."

Microsoft has published some API stuff that can be used within Visual FoxPro to get the hard disk serial number which you technically can use to "validate" that the hard drive on that PC is allowed to run the app. If that app then were copied to another PC, it wouldn't run because the hard drive serial number would be invalid in your app.

See MS KB
How to Use the GetVolumeInformation API Call

==Carl
Carl Warner
VFUG Officer,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back