Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protecting fields in a template

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawon

Programmer
Feb 6, 2003
US
I have template with a customized field that uses a formula and graphical indicators.

Is there a way to protect specific fields of a template so that a proj mgr cannot change the customized field?

Not really.

You could store the template and put a read-only attribute on the file but once the template is used as the basis for a project plan then all fields in the plan can be updated by the person who has opened the file.

This is, as Martha Stewart would say, a good thing.

So ... how do you accomplish your goal? You make it part of the project management process that the formulae are not to be adjusted.

Thanks for that response. I was afraid of that.

By the way, I also can't seem to figure out the best way to make my own template available to others.

In other words, how do you make a template that you've created available in the template section when someone does a File > New?

Or is there a better way for someone to build off of a template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back