Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protecting an Excel File 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlp118

Programmer
Jul 23, 2001
US
I know how to password protect a sheet and a workbook in Excel. My question is, I have an Excel file on our server that I would like to password protect so that no one could open up that file and look at it. Is there a way of doing this in Excel or do I need to ask someone in the Novell Forum? Thank you in advance for your help.
Jeff

I just tried it with my development server and it retained the password protection so it should be alright? I dont want to go to Chelsea!!!

sorry I missread your question what you need to do is to get your systems admin to restrict access to the folder the file is kept in. I dont want to go to Chelsea!!!

Hi Jeff,

When you go to save the file, use "Save As", then select "Options". This will give you access to the password protection you are looking for.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Cheech, I am trying to restrict the admin from this folder.

Dale, When I click on Save As, there is no options selection. that is strictly for which drive/folder I want to save the file to.

what version excel are you using ? I dont want to go to Chelsea!!!

Jeff,

In response to Cheech's question, the version of Excel I have is Version 97. If you don't have this version, it should still be possible to save a file with password protection with an older (or newer) version. I'm not sure where that will be, but try the Excel Help function, searching for "password". It should be there.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

sorry for confusion I was asking Jeff what version I also use 97 & get the protection stuff when I save or save as, so if that dont help I am stuck

Cheech
I dont want to go to Chelsea!!!

I am using Office 2000. Sorry, I guess I should have stated that in the beginning.

Ok, thank you guys. I figured it out with your help. FYI in Excel 2000, when you click on Save As, you have to go to the Tools icon on the right side of the windown and then select General Options. There you can password protect the sheet. Thanks again for both of your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back