Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protected Word form won't email using Word email function 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimblefingers

Technical User
Jan 18, 2001
US
Hi All,
I created this form in Word, Protected it as a form. Used the email icon on the Word standard tool bar, Outlook pops up. I fill in the "To:" field, and click on "send a copy" but nothing gets sent. If I unprotect the Word form and email from Word, it sends. Hyperlinks in a protected Word form does not take you to a web site either.

Please make this work for me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

alice

Hi. I believe that the only way you can send the form is to send it as an attachment to Outlook, rather than using the email function of Word. So, you actually have to open Outlook and attach the file, and your users will have to open or save it - it won't automatically show in your message.

Also, to get the hyperlink to open, you will probably have to unprotect that section of the document. You will have to section your form first. You could make three sections, inserting one section break before the hyperlink, one after. Then, when protecting the document for forms, click on the sections button, unselect the section with the hyperlink, so that it is unprotected, and proceed from there. The one problem is that people will be able to alter this section if they really want to.

Good luck.

I beg to differ with Doroth, but I happened across a way to pull off emailing a protected form.

Here's the solution that worked for me ...
It requires creating 3 Continuous Sections (inserting 2 Continuous Section Breaks). One at the very top, one for the main body, and the last at the very end. Make sure your form fields are located in the second (middle) section. Protect only that second section.

Technical approach ...
Place the cursor at the place at which you want to create the Section Break. From the Insert pull-down menu, click Break. Click Continuous in the Section Break Types area and click OK. Do this again to create the third section.

To protect the document, from the Tools pull-down menu click Protect Document. Then click the Forms radio button and click the Sections button. Remove the checkmarks from Sections 1 and 3. Click OK, then click OK again.

You should be able to Send a Copy of the form now. Good luck.

Oops. Spoke too soon. I was testing my form and found that as long as the typing cursor is located in a protected field, Word WILL NOT email a copy of the form.

RANT: If this isn't a MAJOR oversight in functionality on the part of the "wizards" in Redmond, then I don't know what oversight means. This is very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back