Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protected Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

secutanudu

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2004
US
I am thinking of disabling the Protected Storage service so that passwords are not saved in IE. Will this impact a lot of other things outside of IE? Anything i should be aware of before I disable this service? Thanks.

If you are in a Domain, you lose the cached credientials feature.

In a Workgroup, you lose the ability to cache alternate credentials (if needed) to access shares.

Otherwise:

linney in the past has vote yes on this issue;
I in the past have vote no, do not do this.

In the alternative you could:
Start button, Run, control userpasswords2
Click the Advanced tab.
Click "Manage passwords"
Edit and/or remove what you do not want.

But generally speaking the service can be disabled without trauma. And of course, can easily be re-enabled.

We are in a workgroup now, but are in the process to upgrading to Active Directory. Basically we want to stop the saving of passwords in IE - not the passwords in forms, but the passwords that pop up on web pages to get through a proxy server...not sure if there's any other way to do it, but we'll need cached credentials.

Question about cached credentials - will machine and user policy still get applied if the DC goes down? Is group policy also cached?

Stopping the Protected Storage service will stop IE saving passwords, albeit you it will not stop an authentication prompt.

"Question about cached credentials - will machine and user policy still get applied if the DC goes down? Is group policy also cached?" It is applied, and preserved as of your last Domain connection.

Can what you are talking about with IE be achieved via the available Auto Complete settings for IE?

Specifies whether you want Internet Explorer to prompt you to save a password or even save them in the first place or clear any saved passwords.

linney - It will prevent saving passwords in a form, but not in an authentication prompt to get through a proxy server...(according to bcastner)

Is there a way to stop saving passwords in an authentication prompt?

Stopping the Protected Storage service will stop IE saving passwords, albeit you it will not stop an authentication prompt."

What did you mean by this?

If you access a secured web page, or one that require a Passport account, you likely will be prompted. The password and user information will not however be stored if the Protected Storage service is disabled.

Oh i understand. I was interpreting that comment incorrectly. We'll need to use cached credentials so turning off protected storage won't be an option. I guess we'll live with authentication prompts being able to save passwords. Thanks.

Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab, Internet zone (and then Intranet zone), Custom Level, check the user authentication choices. They may not be set as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back