Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protect Comments Word 03

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeleneP

Technical User
Apr 18, 2002
US
We track changes and comments in our existing document structure on word 2k. We want to move (finally) to office 2003 but we've hit a problem in that although we can track changes we don't appear able to track comments and the comments written by one reviewer can simply be removed without trace by someone else.

So whilst we can track the changes made to the document we apparently don't appear to be able to track the comments. I say apparently because I haven't looked into the problem but there's several frustrated people who have.

Does anyone know how to maintain a track of comments added to a document in word 03?

Could you be more specific? Are you talking about tracking comments that have, for example, been inserted, but then removed? Are you looking for a history of comments?

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Yep that's what we want to do. Apparently the 03 version allows us to track changes to the document but not comments inserted into the document. Also the comments can be changed without any tracking on them by any one of the reviewers.

OK, I was not aware of that.

The only thing I can think of is to write a dump of the Comments Story (text and commenter) to a text file (or, if you like another Word file)) evry time the document is saved. If you keep on amending this file, you will have a history of ther comments.

I do not have 2003, but I am a little surprised at this.

Gerry

Has anyone else had this problem. My thanks to Gerry but I'm hoping that someone else has some ideas.

Anyone else? i am rather curious to know if there is a built-in function to track comments in 2003. Again, it could be done by building a file yourself.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back