Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protect Access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jahappz

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
SE
Hello!

i have a database that has one form and acouple of query's and tables. I want to protect the database from users looking at "design" view of the query's or tables. But they should be able to run the form and view some reports that uses the query's.

The best thing i found so far is hiding the tables and querys but there's got to be a better way?

Please give me some advice!

Compile the Access Database as an MDE. Under Tools - Database Utilties - Make MDE File. They will not be able to go into design view of rpts,frms etc.

i tried that but i could still go into the design view but i could not save. i dont want the users to be able to even look at the query

You can also turn off the menus in the Tools -> Startup screen. For you to turn them back on, hold down the shift key while starting up the app.

Yes i have done that!

But i can still go to the design view of the query even when the database is .mde file... any more ideas?

Try not using any queries. Go into them, and view them as SQL, then copy the line to the DataSource of the form, then delete the query because it will no longer be needed.

Perfect! Just what i wanted! is there any more things i can do to secure the tables?

Before you do anything else:

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Yeah but mean secure tables as in that the users can't look at the "design-view

On tools menu, choose StartUp and play with the options. If you unselect Display Database Window then when openning the database press and hold the Shift key and you 'll see the Database Window. Ofcourse there is code to set and remove all startup options.

The next step is user-level security.

Another option you could do to hide the query is to use the query property window to change the hidden attribute by ticking the box.

Thank you guys i have already done the things suggested :) but if you have more tips i would be happy!

hide every object (select object - choose properties - hidden = yes)

check this thread
to disable the shift key.

There is also another good bit of code in here for show/hide db window,

another trick is to make all the forms modal. this means they have to deal with the top most form and the db window cant get focus

"My God! It's full of stars...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back