Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prosignia 300 (installing memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc88

Technical User
Oct 16, 2001
NL
I've been trying for weeks now to install more memory into my compaq prosignia 300 server.
I downloaded and installed the system configuration utility but don't know how to set the amount of RAM.

Is there any way to disable the system configuration utility
or can somebody explain me how i instaal more RAM

Regards,

Jacob Cats

I'm not sure with Prosignias...but in general, you don't need to configure memory...simply add more physical memory. when you boot, you should see that the memory has been detected. (You may have to hit F10 and run System configuration and save.)

When you boot into NT, you will see the additional memory detected. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

same problem here. but the system wont detect the ram that I had installed i have tried different rams to find out what ram but it wont detect...

What type of RAM are you trying to put into it? Check the technical specs of the Prosignia 300 at the following link. Also click the MEMORY link to ensure your memory is compatible.

According to the website, the server can only take 208Mb memory maximum:

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

re:prosgnia 300(socket 5) memory,memoery needed is 36bit(parity) fastpage i'm told its H-P server ram,-unless you have a special memory expansion board next you can download the drivers and config.disks because your system partion is on your harddrive i hope!you get there by pressing F10 when prompted.

I have the same problem with a Compaq Prosignia 300
I setup the hard drive partition and got the floppy configuration and diagnostic floppies from the web site
if I run A rompaq diskette in the machine it shows 64MB (16MB onboard and the 48MB I installed) but none of the config or diag floppies show the ram.
I tried setting the amount manually in the config but now that I have done that the machine wont boot into the system config.
it asks for the third floppy and hangs loading !CPQA040.CFG
I went and bought a box of new floppies and tried remaking the 3rd floppy disk and trying it but to no avail.
Any idea how to fix this prob?
Or anyone know where I can get the SmartStart CD in Australia?
thanks for any help

now the fun part :)
I have 2 Prosignia 300's, which I am trying my best to get the most out of.
These servers use 72 pin ecc ram, also another complicating factor is you need an os on the disk to configure memory. so downloading the system configuration manager works for me.
ie run it off floppy, this will work and update the memory, note on the 1st boot it will not detect extra memory, on the 2nd boot it will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back