Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pros and cons for DC and File print server at remote site

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrsadmin

Technical User
May 3, 2004
US
Can someone point me to or give me some pros and cons for having a Domain Controller (windows 2003) and File and print server at a remote site?

My boss does not want to have any servers at our satellite sites, but I think we should. He has asked me to give him pros and cons on having Domain Controller (windows 2003) and File and print server at the satellite sites.
We have at best 30MB line from main office to each satellite office. Each satellite office has anywhere from 60 to 200 users and about 30 to 60 printers and about 100-200 GB in file shares.

That's a lot of traffic to be going across you line. What happens when some big honkin' print job is sent to a local printer? It goes all the way to the print server for spooling, then all the way back to the printer. Authentication traffic and application deployments aren't something I generally want going across that line either, unless it's a really small office, such as < 10 people. I can see why some file resources might be best in one centralized locations, but I'd rather use DFS to have a local copy in the branch, but back it up from the local copy at HQ.

Bandwidth is like money - you can never have too much. But you should also watch how you spend it.

Pat Richard MVP

Just try it without the servers at the remote site and see how everything holds up. You may be able to use QoS on your existing equipment to allow more important packets to go through with a higher priority. If it works out, get a backup network connection in case of a blackout.

Business and Data Integrations
A Northern Virginia IT Service and Consulting Company

I am in agreement with the other folks. If your offices range in size from 60-200 users then as far as I am concerned they are large enough to warrant a local infrastructure of their own.
If it's a money issue you can always install a server and virtualize your DC and File Serving functions.
HTH

Its true you may need servers at the remote site. But you will never know unless you try. It might also be a good time to clamp down on all those expensive "big honkin' print job" (if they are unnecessary). It would be a good excuse to tell everyone they need to be more efficient with their printing because it goes to central office ;)

You said 30 - 60 printers...Are they all using a print server?

How much traffic would these users actually generate from file sharing?

Your solution does not have to be all in one either. You could implement servers at the larger remote offices but not at the smaller ones.

If you have files stored at remote locations than you need to think about backing up all those files. Would you buy backup equipment for each location, or have backup run centrally?

Business and Data Integrations
A Northern Virginia IT Service and Consulting Company

The big questions to ask are :-

How big are your wan links.

How much data does the offices generate.

How reliable are your wan links and in a outage situtaion how important is it that customers can still work.

Get good answers to those 3 and you can pretty much decide if you need a f&p and or a d/c services at the remote sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back