Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Property question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjburkha

Programmer
Jul 30, 2004
US
Hi, I'm just getting started with C#, so excuse this question

It's my understanding that

Code:
private string mnfParNum;

public string MnfParNum
{
	get{return mnfParNum;}
	set{mnfParNum = value;}
}
works just like
Code:
public string MnfParNum;

I know that the first way is preferred, and I half understand why.

My question is, do I really have to write 4 lines of code everytime I want to declare a public variable? There must be an easier way to do this. Something cute like
Code:
private property string mnfParNum
obviously that doesn't work, but something to save my carpul tunnel syndrom?

I heard some programmers get paid by the line, they must love this new construct huh?

I'm joking a little, but this is a serious question. I did search around for a while on google groups, and I found a lot of people talking about how the property is the preferd way to go with C#, but not a simpeler way to code it.

Thanks for your time,

CJB

There are two reasons why using properties is preferred over just using a public member variable:

1) If you need to perform some validation of a value that might get sent to your class, you can do it in a property, but not if the variable was declared as public.

2) You can declare it to be read-only or write-only by omitting the other part of the property declaraion.

I don't know of anyone being paid by the line. I like the idea, though...
:)

Chip H.

Thanks for the help guys.

Here is my concern then. I have a class that represents an inventory item. I connect to a DB and get a lot of properties for this inventory item, maybe 30 properties. If I make them all properties that is going to be a huge class for not much info. I am tempted to just make one property, and that property would be the data set. Not very cool, but what do you think?

Hey there, if I may contribute something here (fresh off the C# exam and still remembering way too many Microsoft definitions) ...

I think your first example is demonstrating a property where, as Chip says, can consist of code to perform some validation, and the second is called a 'field' of a class. Fields simply exposed access to a value.

As far as your thought of having one property that returns a dataset - that's potentially a valid design, but depending on the overall scope of the project, you might break some rules of encapsulation going this route. If you choose to return a dataset, you're assuming that everyone that will use your class will know how to manipulate a dataset (which is fine if they do, just something to consider) - but if you go the more code intensive route within the class and expose a bunch of properties or fields, you can have a relatively inexperienced programmer create an instance of your class, retrieve values, then trash it.

Your right, of course, returning the dataset is not a very smart way to go.

It's just that if I have 30 properties to expose, thats 120 lines of very repetitive code. I totally understand why properties are the way to go, thank you all for that, but I wish I could find a faster way to code it.

Maybe I can check and if I add a propertie to my class, VS will add the code form me.

Well, I guess if there are no shortcuts I'll just bite the bullet and do it.

Thanks again everyone

CJB

only 120 lines of code? You can do that in no time. ;-)

Best of luck to you.

If I make them all properties that is going to be a huge class for not much info
What I've done when I don't want to type all that stuff in is use or write a utility to take a dataset and generate a class that has all my properties in it.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back