Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper Syntax for Make Command 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tama

MIS
Jun 6, 2001
NZ
Hi there

I am in the process of installing the xdebug module on my Linux server.

Unfortunately I'm am very un-experienced with the "make" command (and Linux in general) and having followed the following steps without any problems:
Code:
1. Unpack the tarball: tar -xzf xdebug-1.x.x.tgz.  Note that you do not need to unpack the tarball inside the PHP source code tree. Xdebug is compiled separately, all by itself, as stated above.
2. cd xdebug-1.x.x
3. Run phpize: phpize
  (or /path/to/phpize if phpize is not in your path).
4. ./configure --enable-xdebug (or: ../configure--enable-xdebug--with-php-config=/path/to/php-config if php-config is not in your path)
I completely have hit a brick wall with this instruction:
Code:
5. Compile the module with "make"

I've had a search around the internet for a description of using "make" that doesn't confuse me, and so far they've all made my eyeballs bleed. I also looked at "info make" on my server - but again found this far too confusing.

Hopefully there's a simple answer to this:

What command do I need to enter to "make" my xdebug module.

Thank you in advance
Tama

I do my sums on fingers and thumbs.

Just make xdebug should do it (if thats the name of the module
created with your earlier ./configure command

for information that creates a makefile script which should do all the hard work for you. ;-)

Thank donkeyhote

I must have screwed up somehow first time around and made a typo. I repeated steps 3 to 5 again and it worked a charm.

If there was an embarrassed smilie to use I put it here =>

Tama

I do my sums on fingers and thumbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back