Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompting user to provide file name and path 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeypot3

Instructor
Feb 8, 2005
GB
Hi there

I know this is really simple but I seem to be struggling with the syntax to get this to work. As part of a macro in Excel I want the macro to open the save as box and allow the user to change path and filename before the macro continues. I have used this before for file open set as a variable and it works fine but cannot get it to work for save using the same idea.

This one works great: myfileopen = Application.GetOpenFilename(“Text Files,*.txt”) - set as a variable at the beginning of the macro.

This variable however does not - myfilesave = ActiveWorkbook.SaveAsFilename("Excel files,*.xls)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Sandra

Have a look at the Application.GetSaveAsFilename method.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

It sort of does - I can see how I can use it as below:

Sheets("Sheet4").Copy
myfile = Application.GetSaveAsFilename
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=myfile, _
FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
MsgBox ("Now choose File, Send To, Email as attachment to open Outlook and email")
Workbooks("pivotscores.xls").Close SaveChanges:=False

The only trouble is when I run the macro and provide a name for the file it puts a full stop after the name and the file is not identifiable as an XLS file automatically. Any ideas on how I can get this method to save it as an XLS file automatically?

you can do this a number of ways, the best is to preset the extension when you call the save dialog
Code:
Dim filter As String
    Sheets("Sheet4").Copy
    filter = "Excel Files (*.xls),*.xls,"
    myfile = Application.GetSaveAsFilename("mMyInitialName", Filter)
        ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=myfile, _
        FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
        ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
Note: You can also give the dialog an assumed file name as a first guess

Robert Cumming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back