Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompted to save report to disk when opening through URL line

Status
Not open for further replies.

mschuma

Programmer
May 4, 2005
DE
I try to open a report over the URL line. Instead of displaying the report in the web browser (or downloading the Plugin), the "open the file or save it to disk" message is displayed.

Im using a testversion of CE XI, MS 2000 prof. and IIS 5
This is an "default" installation for testing the XI version. (i want to migrate from CE 8)

I can't find solutions at the Business Objects Knowledge Base for this Problem AND this version.

I think there ar no application mappings for .rpt and .cri in the IIS configuration.

thank 4 helping

ok i try it (but be lenient to me and my english) (-:

- first i made a default installation of Win 2000 prof. (ghost image of a "pre configured" Win 2000 installation)
- then the oracle client (8i), after this i installed the IIS from the Win 2000 prof. CD (IIS version 5)
- next step, installing the Crystal Enterprise XI Server (CRXISerEn.exe - downloaded from the business objects web site)
all installations ended successful

Next i copied a report ( .rpt version 8.5) from the livesystem to the testsystem. Put the report and a test.html in the businessobjects webfolder.
then i tried to open the test.html via Browser ( ... the page opened successful.
ok... then i tried to open the report. normaly the browser should ask to download a plugin and then open the report, but the "open the file or save it to disk" message was displayed. The Browser asks to where to save the .rpt file.

I checked the mappings of the reportfiles in the "businessobjects webfolder" all .rpt, .cri files are mapped to the "aspnet_isapi.dll" ... i don't know if this is correct.

i also tried to contact the (german)businessobjects support.. but still no response from there (about 2 weeks [thumbsdown] )

Hi mschuma,

I am also having the same problem can you please let me know if you have solved this. Hope some one helps me with this.

Thankyou,
Reddy.

Hi,

i didn't solve it :-(
Someone from Crystal (businessobjects) told me that there is no support of "unmanaged" reports since version 10.
That mean "we" can't open reports directly over a URL.

So, I have to stay at version 8.

but if You find any some kind of solution... let it know me :)

It took some work but i managed to get help from Business Objects to print unmanaged reports using Crystal XI.

First you need to go into the "Central Configuration Manager" and stop the "Report Application Server". Next double click it to get the properties and on the parameter tab change "Option Type" to server and enter the path to your report directory then restart the RAS server.

After that you need to get the ASP working. Their pre-sales support rep sent me a couple sample files to make this work and refered me to a "Report_Viewers.chm" file located in a ComDocs.zip in the Docs directory of the installation.

The first file is called ViewReport.asp. This is the one you call from your browser with the report file name on the url. For example:
Code:
<%@ Language=VBScript CodePage=65001 %>

<%

reportName = Request.QueryString("report")
dir = "C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Crystal Reports 11\Samples\en\Reports\Feature Examples\"
'============================================================================
' CREATE THE REPORT CLIENT DOCUMENT OBJECT AND OPEN THE REPORT
'============================================================================

' Use the Object Factory object to create other RAS objects (useful for versioning changes)
Set objFactory = CreateObject("CrystalReports.ObjectFactory")

' Create a new ReportClientDocument object
Set Session("oClientDoc") = objFactory.CreateObject("CrystalClientDoc.ReportClientDocument")

' Specify the RAS Server (computer name or IP address) to use (If SDK and RAS Service are running on seperate machines)
Session("oClientDoc").ReportAppServer = "127.0.0.1"

' Open the report object to initialize the ReportClientDocument
Session("oClientDoc").Open dir & reportName

'  *** Crystal Reports Viewer ***
Response.Redirect "CrystalReportsViewer.asp"

%>

The second file is called CrystalReportsViewer.asp. It does the actual display of the report file.
Code:
<%@ Language=VBScript %>

<%
'=================================================================================
'INSTANTIATE THE VIEWER AND DISPLAY THE REPORT THROUGH THE CRYSTAL REPORTS VIEWER
'=================================================================================

Response.ExpiresAbsolute = Now() - 1

' Create the Crystal Reports Viewer
Dim viewer
Set viewer = CreateObject("CrystalReports.CrystalReportViewer")  
viewer.Name = "Crystal Reports Viewer"
viewer.IsOwnForm = true	  
viewer.IsOwnPage = true
viewer.IsDisplayGroupTree = True
viewer.HasToggleGroupTreeButton = True

' NEW - Set the printmode to ActiveX printing
' Acceptable values: 0 (PDF printing), 1 (ActiveX printing)
viewer.PrintMode = 1

' IMPORTANT NOTE:
' For a complete list of properties of the Interactive Viewer look in the RAS "Report_Viewers.chm"
' help file found through Start | Programs | Business Objects 11 | Crystal Reports Server | Developer Documentation

' Set the source for the viewer to the ReportClientDocuments report source
viewer.ReportSource = Session("oClientDoc").ReportSource

' Process the http request to view the report
viewer.ProcessHttpRequest Request, Response, Null

%>

That's it, now I can print/export unmanaged report files. I hope that helps.

Hi codeconjurer.

I tried to follow your directions but the asp files you provide still wont show in a browser. (500 - Internal Server Error).

I am using CR XI, on 2003 server. The strange thing is that rpt, cwr or any other files was not associated in the IIS. Is that a possible reason?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Jonas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back