Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompt user to input data

Status
Not open for further replies.

micang

Technical User
Aug 9, 2006
US
Access 2003

Hi All,

I have a form that users input data once a week, 2 of the columns (IssueNumber,Date) have the same data i.e Issue number for that week will be same for all the records inputed and date will be populated by either the day they input or the date the data gets sent on to another department.

What I would like to do is that once they have completed all the fields etc, that they can press a command button, and it will prompt them for "Issue Number?", they then will type in the prompt the issue number and then hit "OK" and it will update the table with this info. An the same for the date.

I have looked, searched at inputmsg, msgbox, parameter queries, but what I thought would be simple, is turning out to be a nightmare!

Could someone possibly guide me in the right direction? I am not too experienced with VBA, but would I possibly need VBA to achieve this? Or can Acces do it without VBA?

As usual, any help greatly appreciated.

Michael

From what you have described what I would do is create a texbox on the form that is is not visible when the form loads. This text box should become visible when your user clicks on the command button.

If you really want a window to pop up when your user hits the button i would recommend another form. let me know if this helps

Hi maxamis4,

I am not to sure how to use the text box to achieve this?

The form inputs data into 15 fields etc, the two fields mentioned above I would like to have a quick way of poulating them. So lets say 100 records are entered, I would like it that these two fields will be poulated via queries, instead of them typing them inputting them in manually.

Thank you for your input and assistance thus far.

Michael

I wonder if this could be looked at in a different way? If you have a form / subform setup, you have access to Link Child Fields and Link Master Fields. Link Master Fields can be set to the name of controls or fields on the main form and Link Child Fields to controls or fields on the subform. Link Child Fields are automatically filled in with the data in the Link Master Fields. It is essential that the Master Fields are filled in before any data is entered in the subform. All this can be done without code; the subform wizards can help with the link fields.

Alternatively, it is possible to use the RecordsetClone of a form to update fields.

Thanks Remou, I can definetly utilize what you have suggested.

Thank you.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back