Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompt user for data to display on report but not stored

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanBOnly

Technical User
Jan 5, 2007
US
Let me start by saying I am new to access reports and sql so here is what I have done so far:

I have a 4 column report that pulls data for 3 of the columns from a sql database. When you run the report it prompts for the start and end dates. There are 4 columns (License #, Name - which is made up of 4 sql fields (First, Middle, Last, suffix), Date and Document #).

Here is my problem the Document # is not stored in a table and I don't need to store the information in a table but I need it to prompt the user for the information for each record and record it record and display it on the report. I would like to have a prompt like "Please enter document # for license # (Display current record License #):"

Is this possible to do from a form?

If I understand what you are asking the answer is, yes you can. See openreport method in help. You should be able to pass license and document number via the where condition.

Hi CanB,

The problem is that the report does not have this information in a table etc.

The best way around this is for you to give the user access to a button, which runs a form (eg frmPrint) that requests this information. When the info is input by the user, frmPrint runs the report and have the report fill the particular field by referencing frmPrint.

e.g. in the report field 'Control Source' property use this:

=forms!frmPrint!txtDocNumber

where txtDocNumber is the textbox on frmPrint where the user types in the document number.

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back