Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompt taking too much time

Status
Not open for further replies.

kejalg

Technical User
Sep 14, 2003
IN
Hi,

I am showing 5 prompts in a report.

3 - Type-in
1 - filepicklist(4 rows)
1 - Catalog picklist (20 rows)

This report takes 3 mins to show just the prompts. Can any one guess what the problem would be.

Thanks in advance
Kejal

The culprit is probably the Catalog Picklist. Try replacing the definition for just that one to 'Type in" and see if that speeds up the prompt execution.

With Catalog Picklists, a select distinct SQL clause is generated in the background. If the table is large and not indexed on the requested column, performance will suffer.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. The table itself is having just 20 rows and I run the query with distinct clause in the backend. It's taking not even a second. Is there anything else I should look into.

Regards
Kejal

As I previously suggested, try replacing each of the prompts with constants and see what effect it has on the time to display prompts. Neither a type in or a file-based prompt should delay the report. The only delay for either I could think of would be time to resolve the location of the file name given.

Let us know what you find.

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back