Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompt Page get displayed twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

spattewar

Technical User
Oct 19, 2001
US
Hello,

This might be a basic question but I am finding it hard to resolve it. Please be patient with me.

I am creating a report in report studio. After adding the columns, I wanted to give a portfolio selection prompt to the user. So I add a prompt page and draged the value prompt onto the page. On the parameter wizard, I selected paramaterized query -> selected the field from my package -> did not select the option of creating a new query and clicked on finish. Then selected the newly added prompt and in the propertied window selected the query of the report as the query of the prompt. In the use value selected the portfolioshortname (from the query) and same in the display value.

Now when I run the report, I get one prompt with the portfolio selection which is what i wanted then when I click Finish, it shows one more prompt with the values selected from my first prompt. one thing is that it has added a data filter automatically to the report but somehow it is not able to link the prompt to the data filter.

Your guidance is provided. Thanks you very much
$wapnil

Check the query to which you added the prompt, in the top right corner there is a 'Detail Filters' section. Check to see which values are between question marks and delete the one you don't want to be shown.

You probably have two ?values? between question marks.

Thanks for the response.

I check the details filters section. The value between the ? marks is the name of the parameter that I have added to the prompt page.

For e.g. If the name of the parameter that I have used int he prompt is SELECT_PORTFOLIO, then that is what is present between the question marks
<<package field>> in ?SELECT_PORTFOLIO?

Note that I have not added this filter. It has got added automatically when I added the prompt (created a new paramter while additing the prompt)

Is my method of creating the prompt is correct?

Thanks again
$wapnil

My first guess was that you have 2 prompts, cognos treats the values between question marks as prompts.

Your method of adding a prompt looks good, though I don't see the added value of dialing in the display value, since you use the same value for it.

Adding to the above.

For e.g.
If I want to get the list of the portfolio to be displayed in the value prompt from another business object in my package other than from the query which I have created. Like get the portfolio from the portfolio master object istead of the query that I have build on a positions object.

How to go about adding this prompt? In the meantime I will check again for the things that you have listed.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I think the problem here is that you are using the original query for the report to try to present your list of values in the prompt. The original query is filtered and cannot display anything until its parameter is resolved. Thus you are seeing a default prompt being presented in order to fulfil the parameter value for the query so that your prompt's values can be displayed...

Change your prompt to use its own separate query and all this should go away.

Best regards,

MF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back