Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

prompt page does not show up in page explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravina

MIS
May 11, 2006
CA
Hi,

I created a new report through cut and paste and then added and extra prompt pages to it, deleted some old ones etc etc.. and gave them titles like page1 and page2.
when I run report.. it shows me one more prompt page which does not show up in page explorer..
I tried to restart everything..could not figure out from where it is coming.. how to find and delete that page?

-ravina

You probably have a filter with a parameter not being satisfied by any of the prompts on your prompt pages. Look carefully through the filters defined for your report, and make a note of the parameter used in each. Then select each of your prompts in turn and look at the 'parameter' property - tick off each parameter from your list as you find it. Once complete, my bet is that you find there is a filter parameter with no corresponding prompt, so ReportNet is generating it's own prompt.

Happy hunting!

MF.

Thanks.. it is a possibility ..
your answer is complete as such.. however you may help me little more.. I do not know how to 'look for filters defined for the report'?

what do i do? open report in reportnet and press filter button from toolbar? not sure...

will check this first thing tuesday morning though..

-ravina

Hello ravina!

I think mfgf is right. It appears that there is still an old parameter in the report. It is possible that the parameter is used in the expression of an data item or in a filter or it is used from a prompt...

One possibility to find "lost" parameters is to open the report and then click Tools > Copy Report To Clipboard.
Then paste it to a text-editor. In the editor you can search after parameters (parameters always start and end with a question mark "?") and then you should know in which context the parameters are still used.

hope this helps.
kr, timida

Hi,

There are a number of ways to find the filters used in your report.

1) on your main report page, select a data item from the report then press the filter button (yellow funnel) on the toolbar. Make sure you visit both tabs!

2) hover your mouse over the Query Explorer on the liddle toolbar, and select the query for your report. Look first in the Filters area on the right - there may be one or more filters defined there. Then double-click the Tabular Model (at the bottom) and look in the Filters area of the Tabular Model - there may be further filters defined there too.

3) export your report definition to the clipboard (from the tools menu), and paste into Notepad, then use the Notepad search facility to look for your filter definitions (but this is more tricky, so only recommended for seasoned developers).

Best regards,

MF.

Thank you mfgf. I tried all 3 methods and found what I was looking for.
-ravina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back