Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompt modification...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anu1284

Programmer
Sep 24, 2003
US
I have 2 input date parameters, Start date and end date.

My requirement is to retrieve all records where (database date field + 7) is between start date and end date. (input date parameters)

Is this possible to achieve without creating an object in the universe as this condition will be applicable only for this report?

I think it's impossible without editing the universe because you want to use a (databasefield + 7)... I don't think you'll be able to use this without adding an object in your universe.

One possibility would be to use free-hand SQL.

If you are not confident with SQL, I would suggest that you write a BO report ignoring the problemmatic +7 days, then copy and paste the generated sql into the freehand editor. You can then ammend sql changing the 'database date' field to ('database date' field + 7 days)

Free-hand SQL should not be used for production reports. It's a bad idea as the connections are not secured.

You do need a database field. You could simply build this and modify the SQL of the report (full-client). Then check the "Do not regenerate" box.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Hi Steve,

Can you please let me know if it is good practice to check the "Do not regenerate SQL" checkbox.

Also please let me know the dis-advantages of using this?

Thanks,
Anu.

If you didn't check Donot generate SQL check box, Query panel will not the changes & will regenerate the query.
You suppose to check the same when you edit or modify the original query.

Hope you got the point

Also remember if some user drags a new object or removes already existing object your modified SQL doesn't hold good and BO will generate the SQL automatically...

Sri

To your first question if its possible without creating a object at Universe Level Yes its possible... I've done something similar in the past... Lemme dig that up...

Sri

I don't believe it's ever "good" practice to modify the code produced by the tool. But there are a few occasions where it is necessary.

Ideally, you make changes to the universe and you then can let BO generate the right code.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Sridharan,

Where you successfully enough in digging your previous work to find a solution for my question?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Anu.

It seems like the date is always shifted by 7 days, at start or end, so why not request users to type in the actual dates, i.e.

Start Date would be Start Date + 7 and End Date would be End Date + 7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back