Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompt keeps appearing to download file when I access website

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHUK

Programmer
Nov 30, 2002
GB
Hi

I have been away from work for a few days. Today I got back and found whenever I log onto our company website a prompt keeps appearing saying:
----
"File Download
You are downloading the file home.html from Would you like to open the file or save it to your computer?"
----

I can access all other websites fine. I do know our accountant loaded something onto my computer while I was away however he does not know how this could have happened and nor do I. Is there something in the settings that has changed to make this prompt appear?

The web browser should automatically download the web pages into the browser screen - not give me a prompt to save them somewhere on my computer.

Any insight or help with this will be greatly appreciated as this is quite a big problem.

MHUK

I forgot to say all other pc's on our network can access our company website fine. It is just mine for some reason. Our website is just static html pages.

I suspect my computer's settings have changed since this accountancy software was loaded. However simply uninstalling the accountancy software probably wont solve the problem. Although I'm not sure.

Thank you for any help.

What sort of troubleshooting have you done? Have you tried installing a different web browser (like Mozilla - and using that browser to access your site?

Are others having this same problem? If others are having the same problem, then it's probably a problem with the web server.

If only you are having this problem, then check the file settings on your computer. The software which your accountant installed might have changed the way your computer handles HTML files.

You'll need to do a little detective work to figure this one out.

-Ron

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

murof siht edisni kcuts m'I - PLEH

It seems you've answered some of my questions before I had a chance to post them. Since it only appears to be a problem on your computer, then try this (assuming you're using WinXP):

Open up Internet Explorer. Go to [blue]Tools > Internet Options...[/blue]. On the [blue]Programs[/blue] tab, be sure there is a checkmark next to [blue]Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default web browser[/blue]. If not, replace the checkmark and restart Internet Explorer. If it asks you about being the default web browser, answer "yes".

If the above didn't help, open up the [blue]Control Panel[/blue] and go to [blue]Folder Options[/blue]. Go to the [blue]File Types[/blue] tab. Find HTML from the list of extensions. Be sure it says "Opens with: Internet Explorer" in the details. Repeat the above for HTM.

Hope that helps.
-Ron

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

murof siht edisni kcuts m'I - PLEH

Thanks the first suggestion didn't work unfortunately. I have just gone to Folder options and file types and can see HTML and HTM open with Explorer. I have found out however that when our accountant loaded the software onto my computer it upgraded Internet Explorer from 5.0 to 6.0. I can only assume this is the main reason why there is a problem.

However I can't see why it is only our own company website that prompts us to download a file when we try to view it. Everything was fine with our company website before our accountant loaded his software and upgraded us to Internet Explorer 6. But why should Internet Explorer 6 make any difference to us viewing a particular website?

Thank you for any help.

Check to see if you have a hosts file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC... it is possible that somehow you have a parasite that changed your default web page, and it would show up in this file (open with notepad).

If so, deleting that entry will help, but the next step will be to run spayware checking apps, such as hijackthis to fihgure out what bad programs might be running.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back