Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promoting NIS Slave to NIS master 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishsays

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2004
GB
Hi All,

We have our NIS master server running with Solaris 6 , and we are in process of upgrading the OS. What I have planned is to install a new server , make it NIS slave server and then shutdown the old NIS master and then promote this new slave to NIS master server. Please let me know if this procedure would work ? ...also well if it works ..then can somebody let me know the procedure for promoting the NIS slave server to NIS master server.

thanks,

Why even do that step? (slave - master).

I would just make it a master now, and rsync over the source maps. Then bind a single client to check it out.

You could run this way for a while (provided after
each rsync you do a make in /var/yp). The clients
don't care which server they get info as long as
it is the same info. (okay, ypwhich gives different
answers but besides that...)

We have moved masters around lots...but I don't see
a problem...

gene

You mean to say at one moment of time we can have two NIS master server for a domain ...?

If you don't use yp broadcast bind, and
set the servers explicitly, yes.

gene

Yes you can have two NIS Master's up at once...I currently am doing this. We are switching our NIS servers out since we had to install a third party piece of Government Software. elgrandeperro is correct, you can use ypbind in broadcast mode, but it will bind to whichever server answers first. You can change this by adding the hostname and IP address to /etc/hosts. Also add the hostname to your /var/yp/binding/`domainname`/ypservers.

You can try it.

Since you have to do step 9, to me that is the most important part, to figure out how/which maps you use.

To me, lots of the motion is to move yp files around, and moving around the master and slave.

In my keepitsimple attitude, I would just recreate the master on the new box. Then in order to switch, shutdown the old master, change some things on the new one to reIP/rename and such and bring up the new box in its place.

That way, if you see a problem you just bring the old one back.

gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back