Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promoting new Server to a DC HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzysk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2005
US
Guys
My boss asked me to promote our new server to DC we have 2, 2000 and 2003 so either one do you guys have any good articles or manuals I can get from somwhere to make this a easy project. We have Exchange 2000 and all of our servers are 2000. Please help. Thank you

Thanks Mastersmurf I heard a lot of bad things happening after switching the domain to a new server. Thank you again.

In order to move the PDC from Win2000 to Win2003, you must first run:
AdPrep /ForestPrep
AdPrep /DomainPrep
Then you can transfer the FSMO and global catalog and demote the 2000 server.

The Adprep.exe utility is located in the I386 folder of your Windows Server 2003 installation media. The Adprep.exe utility prepares a Windows 2000 forest and its domains for the addition of Windows Server 2003 domain controllers. (I think it adds some indexing keys not found in the earlier W2K versions but required by W2K3.)
If at all possible, all Windows 2000 domain controllers should have W2K SP3 or newer to avoid potential issues of schema deletion or performance issues.

Thanks guys. I ran DCpromo and everything went well except few 98 machine won't get on the network they get this error
(The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied.) I talk to MS they send me a fix that didn't work.

I will upgrade them to 2K that should solve the issue. Thanks again guys it went smooth.

Yeah, get them on a NT based system. If your company can afford Win2k3 server then they need to look at their clients! Win98 is nearlly 8 years old! :-( (Now i'm feeling old too!)

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Thanks Steve I upgraded one of those machines to 2K I had to rename it and added to domain it work's fine. Thank god I only have few of them and nobody is on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back