Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promise Ultra100 BIOS not updating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weogarth

MIS
Sep 8, 2003
US
Hi folks

Got a hard drive that's new to me, 200GB in size. It's over the usual 131GB limit without using the 48-bit LBA so I'm trying to do the legwork to put that into place.

The system has an ASUS A7N MB with the latest final BIOS and an integrated Promise Ultra100 ATA controller 2.01 (Build 35).

I've gone to the Promise website, obtained the Windows driver file and the BIOS upgrade. The driver seems to have taken but the BIOS is persistant in its issuing of the "unknown flash memory type" error when I try to use the ptiflash.exe file and b14.bin data.

Has anyone else run into this? I've found several references that are close but nothing with the right hardware.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Gary Whitten

OK, I apologize. The MB is A7V, not A7N, not sure what made me type the wrong letter when I have it clearly written here. :(

I'm running WinXP but I didn't think that'd matter since I"m trying to update the onboard ATA BIOS on the MB

without using the 48-bit LBA"

Why? That's why I asked about the OS, you need at least SP-1 to use 48 bit. As for the onboard BIOS error, where did you get your update?

Thanks for the hand but I've found out from the mobo manufacturer that it simply can't be updated enough to handle the drive. A new PCI controller already enroute from NewEgg.com. I really do appreciate the try, however. Have a great week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back