Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promise 378 S-ATA RAID vs. Promise 378 S-ATA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep7955

Technical User
Jun 12, 2005
US
HELP! Running XP Pro on two WD 36GB Raptors in Stripe mode from the Serial connectors on an MSI-6702 motherboard. After 3 years of trouble-free operation would like to transfer XP Pro and all my programs and data to a single drive. Bought a single WD Caviar SE16 SATA 7200RPM 250GB drive for that purpose and thought I could drive it from a SATA connector on the motherboard but the drive is not seen in CMOS or My Computer and SCSI & RAID Controllers in Device Manager lists the two controllers but with a yellow error indicator in front of the SATA controller. My intention was to move everything from the RAID drives to the single drive, then disable the RAID setup, but didn't want to do that until I was sure the single drive was working well.
QUESTION: Am I trying to do the impossible having the RAID drives from the Serial connectors and the single drive from a SATA connector enabled at the same time? Thought I would be able to make a selection from within CMOS. Must I disable the RAID setup before being able to see the single drive? The drive shipped without jumpers and see nothing that says one must be installed. Are they a factor?

Forget about the jumpers, but you should be able to see the drive in RAID BIOS. Chances are that the SATA controller is in RAID-only mode. DO NOT CHANGE THE RAID SETTING IN BIOS. Doing so could result in data being written to the RAID drives inadvertently and making the array useless. Slight chance, but it COULD happen.

Instead, get a cheap SATA USB external enclosure like this:

and install your new drive in it. Then format the drive in Disk Management and clone the array to it using Ghost or Acronis True Image. Shutdown after cloning and before the PC reboots, then change the SATA controller setting in BIOS (after labeling the RAID drives & cables) and install the drive, see if it boots.

You should be able to reinstall the RAID drives (in the correct position, of course) if the clone does not work.

Or, you could partition the new drive while connected to USB, copy your data over to one partition, then do a clean install to the other.

There are also USB-to-SATA adapters but they cost about the same as a case, and it's handy to have an external drive. Best of luck.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Wahnula: Thanks for the instructions. Trying to get all my ducks in a row before starting, and I'm stumbling a little at this point: "Shutdown after cloning and before the PC reboots, then change the controller setting in BIOS (after labeling the RAID drives and cables) and install the drive * * * ." So the Dummy will proceed as follows: 1.Using Acronis, Restore to the external drive. 2.Shutdown. 3.Identify and disconnect cables to the RAID drives. 4.NOW JUST WHAT TO DO IN THE BIOS, BEFORE RESTARTING, STUMPS ME IN LIGHT OF YOUR THIRD-SENTENCE NOTE OF CAUTION. 5.Install the drive, etc.
Many thanks for a great assist. I just need a little more help in that BIOS area.

then change the SATA controller setting in BIOS (after labeling the RAID drives & cables)
means to switch OFF the RAID function, and set the CLONED drive as Boot device and non of the others in the BOOT order...

at least that is what I would do...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Yes BadBigBen that is what I meant. If the RAID 0 drives are labeled and disconnected then you can safely change the BIOS RAID function to "single drive" or "OFF" to see if the clone boots and still be able to return to the RAID 0 set if there are any problems.

My warning about turning off the RAID function in BIOS only applies to when the RAID array is present and connected. If they are removed then you should be able to test boot to the new clone.

That first step should be to CLONE the array to the external drive.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Transfer steps from RAID drives to WD 250GB SATA drive

1. Remove new drive from PC and install in Enclosure
2. Partition and format drive using Disk Management
3. Restore Acronis backup to new drive
4. Shut down
5. Label and disconnect RAID drives
6. Remove new drive from Enclosure and install in PC
7. Start PC and click on Delete to enter BIOS
a. In Integrated Peripherals change from RAID to SATA
b. In Boot sequence change to read: 1-CD, 2-Floppy, 3-SATA drive
8. Save changes and exit BIOS
9. Start PC

All went in accordance with detailed steps above, UNTIL I got to Step 9. The new drive was not seen in the BIOS. Error messages indicated BIOS not installed and NTLDR missing. Reverted to my RAID setup to write this message but would appreciate all further help at this critical point. Many thanks.
P.S. Bought the Directron SATA Enclosure and everything went so well and was quite pleased until things didn't work. Even partitioned the new drive as suggested and Acronis indicated Restoration successful. Thanks for any further help you can offer. The manual that came with the Enclosure contained excellent instructions which were very helpful.

GOT IT!!!! Installed a jumper across 5/6 pins to compensate for MB being SATA or SATA 1. Everything looks good. Very special thanks to wahnula (Tony) and BadBigBen (Ben) for their very detailed instructions, etc. Whew! Nothing to it when somebody can tell you how to do it.

Congratulations Jeep7955!!! Remember, you still had to do the tough part, advising from afar is easy by comparison. Pat yourself on the back too!

Glad Directron worked out for you, they're a small shop here in Houston, I like shopping local and telling folks about this little gem.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks again, Tony.
Realizing now that my new SATA drive is operating at about half-speed, am thinking about a SATA II pci card that would handle my new SATA drive and SATA DVD/CD ROM, and a still to be purchased SATA drive for backups. I saw this one at Newegg - Also, looked at Directron's offerings, but a comparable one there was about $20 more. Since you are now so familiar with my setup, would appreciate your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back