Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Promiscuous mode ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

QatQat

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2001
IT
Hi there,

My system (RH9) has got a eth0 device, gateway for the LAN and an ippp0 as internet connection device.

At some stage it says 'eth0 entered promiscuous mode' and the box becomes not accessible from the LAN anymore.

What is happening?

Bye

Qatqat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

This can happen when the interface is unplumbed for whatever reason (maybe when your ippp connection comes up?).

L.

Thank you for your time tarn.

My connection comes up normally and the whole setup works (LAN, gateway, Internet etc) then with no apparent reason the above thing happens, whether ippp0 is connected or not.

I don't think there is a problem with ippp0

The only thing I have changed on the box recently is adding a couple of iptables rules to block incoming traffic on port 445 and 139 (netbios, smb) on ippp0.

This should not cause that behavior.

Any idea?

Qatqat

Promiscuous mode is ususally used by network monitoring tools, packet sniffers etc. It means that the Ethernet device will capture all packets, not just ones addressed to this station.
Have you installed a monitoring tool of some sort that might account for this?

no but I have run tcpdump a few times for some other matters we had here.

Could it cause it?

BYe

Qatqat

It only enters promiscuous mode when you start it. It leaves it when you exit it.

//Daniel

I think I found the problem.

A guy on the network was playing with a software named Languard Network Scanner from a windoz box. Hopefully that was it.

Thanks anyone.

Bye

Qatqat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back