Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant Server Raid 5 Disk failure imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

delski

MIS
Sep 3, 2003
IE
I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 with 5 x 9.1gb Hd's set up in raid 5. One on the disks (slot 3) is constantly clicking. I have check the event log which gives the following message

"The device, \Device\ScsiPort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Source : Cpqarray
Category : None
Event ID : 9
Type : Error

Check the interrupts on the server to ensure no conflicts"

When I reboot the server I get a message that a disk failure is imminent but I don't have any yellow led on or flashing. I have a spare disk..Can I down the system and just replace the disk or will I Have to wait until it dies!!!

The Drive is using it's S.M.A.R.T capability which is giving you a pre-failure warning. Usually you have 72 hours notice. you don't need to down your server if its part of a RAID-5 array. Just unplug the 'failing' disk and plug in the new disk and the Array controller will automatically rebuild the array. You can run ACU to verify that all is ok.

So if I disconnect the server from the network ( no activity on the disks ) I can replace the disk regardless of the LED display. Currently they are all active and flashing green when in use.

You won't even have to disconnect the server from the network. The whole point of this type of configuration is to minimise system downtime and engineer maintenance.

You simply have to remove the defective disk and replace it with a disk that is the same. The system takes care of restriping the data to the new disk, and after a few hours or so, the system will be back to normal.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know what replacement harddisk part number I can use to replace this 9.1GB Compaq BB00911CA0 Ultra 2 W SCSI? I wish to use any from Seagate, Quantum or IBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back