Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant ML530 cdrom not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

willscarlet

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
GB

I inserted a cd into the drive on my proliant ml530. NT4 sp6a.

The light on the drive is flashing and has been now for an hour. Windows NT Explorer just shows the hourglass. Pushing the cd eject button on the drive has no effect. I tried to stop the cdrom service but the stop failed.

Is there anyway to get the cd to eject without restarting the server?

This is my main server and downtime causes real problems for me.

There should be a very small hole in the front of the CD drive, insert a straightened paper clip or similar push in and the cd draw should open.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Thanks NortonES2

I tried the paperclip and heard noises as something happened inside the drive but unfortunately it didn't open and the drive LED carried on flashing. There might be a service or something I can stop to call a halt to it, just don't know which one.

Looking as though I'll have to agree a time to shutdown.

Can you logoff, or is Explorer hung? You might try killing the explorer process, logging off, then eject with the button on the drive. This can happen if you insert a copied CD, or just one that your CD-ROM Drive can't read. It keeps trying to read & read..... and basically does what you're describing.

You may want to replace your old CD-ROM with a Multi-read drive (if this happens often, or you want to boot slipstreamed media), as a lot of older ProLiant's have these drives that can't read a lot of media that was created with a CD-R, especially ProLiant 1600's & older.

DOH, ML530 should have a Multi-read CD-ROM, I must have spaced for a minute...

Thanks Patrick, It is indeed a copied CD. I can close Explorer by right clicking it on the task bar and click close on the popup menu.

My main db application runs as a console app so I can't logoff yet but will try that later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back