Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant ML350 and exchange 2007 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscoric

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2003
US
We are upgrading our Exchange server from Exchange 2000 to exchange 2007. The problem I have is the Proliant ML 350 G3 server is only 32 bit. Exchange 2007 minimum requirements are 64 bit.

I am hoping to upgrade the processor on the server to a 64 bit processor. Does anyone know if this is possible or do I need to upgrade the motherboard as well?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Th G3 ML350 will only ever support 32Bit CPUs. You would need to replace the server for a G5.

Apparently there is a 32bit version of Exchange 2007 in the box, but this is for testing only. The reason for this apparently is MS Virtual Server 2005 only supports 32bit guest OS's. If you wanted to test Exchange 2007 in a virtual environment prior to any live deployment then MS didn't have a solution for this (apparently?).

I have seen various posts of people using the 32bit version in small environments, but I don't think you would get any support.

Andy

I totally second exactly what Andy has said.
Andy, I could start a post, but it's not real important, but have you had trouble loading Server 2008 32 or 64 bit with Smart Start, and after it loads, none of the Smart Start stuff is loaded? Like no ACU, no homepage, etc?
Depending on your answer, I just might start a post...I have not even researched it, as all the stuff I have is purely testing environments, and I test more with Solaris and OpenVMS...

Burt

I totally second exactly what Andy has said.
Andy, I could start a post, but it's not real important, but have you had trouble loading Server 2008 32 or 64 bit with Smart Start, and after it loads, none of the Smart Start stuff is loaded? Like no ACU, no homepage, etc?
Depending on your answer, I just might start a post...I have not even researched it, as all the stuff I have is purely testing environments, and I test more with Solaris and OpenVMS...

Sorry Burt but I have never installed Server 2008.....
I suggest you start a thread.

Thanks for the response. That is pretty much what I figured.

hi chap you can download 32 bit version from microsoft and use your licence key but youll have the usual probs with it not liking any other ms product i think weve all been here before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back