Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant dl380 g4 power supply issue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpanishWaiter01

Technical User
May 31, 2008
GB
Dear All,

Can you help/explain?

I have a Proliant DL380 G4 server, which runs Windows 2003 SPack 1, where, I hot swapped the power supply from bay 2 as the IML reported a fault. The server then rebooted, The event log - system reported the server had been brought down unexpectedly. The IML reported the insertion of the new power supply. In browsing the HP forums and support pages I found nothing to explain why this event occurred. All of my firmware on this machine is not up to date. The server was down for around 3 minutes.

Can I/anyone rely on hot swap technology? Is it floored?

Re previous post-I am being to have concerns about [HP] hardware or am I just plain unlucky.

Unfortunately, I have no control over firmware updating.

Any ideas?

Constructive comments are welcomed.

Cheers,

SpanishWaiter

HP has a slew of bad power supplies out there. Check with HP to see if your's are involved. It might be possible that you have two marginal power supplies, so when you pulled one, the other could not handle the load, so the result is an unexpected shutdown. I work in a data center where we have hundreds of these boxes, and have seen this quite a few times.

The bad supplies are usually in G5 boxes, DL360 and DL380's. The power inverter board could be bad---I've seen it a million times. It's the board that the power supplies plug into. The part number that is printed on them is wrong! There are 2 numbers before the -001 are inverted (can't remember off the top of my head---I think a 6 and 7---pretty sure that's it, like it says 276xxx-001, but it's 267xxx-001).

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back