Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 7000 raid solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmunn

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
US
I just purchased a used but fuctional Compaq Proliant 7000
server, it came with a large number of hot swap drives, 4 p3 xeon 500mhz processors, and 512mb ram. The system boots and runs smartstart, but someone removed the raid controller from slot 11. So it appears in order to make use of the machine, I will need a raid controller. From what I have been able to find out from the compaq web site, this system shipped new with a smart array 3100 ES raid controller. My question is, do I have to get another Smart Array 3100 ES controller, or are there other options I could explore?

I would like to use the server as it is now, ie using the internal hot swap bays, which are currently connected to the expansion backplace next to slot 11, I understand that the smart array 3100 es will use this configuration as is, will any other add in raid controller from compaq or HP utilize the same on board connections?

I have not been able to locate a chart showing the raid controllers that are compatible with the proliant 7000 server.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter :)

After further investigation, I have determined that the smart array 4250 controller will also work with the internal drive attachment. These 2 controllers appear to have some sort of extension to the pci arhitecture that has a second set of pins, which is where the scsi chain data is passed into the card. Are there any other smart array controllers that do this as well? or can I just use any card, and connected the drive cages directly to the new controller?

Sorry, this is all so confusing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back