Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 6500 CPU Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiophil

Technical User
Nov 20, 2005
US
I picked up an old 6500 with quad ppro/1Mb cpus to play with and would like to try a little linux on her but it says that 3 cpu's aren't functioning. I get a 212 error on slot 9 cpu 1 & 2 and slot 10 cpu 1. Then it ok's slot 10 cpu 2 and boots. If I swap the cpu cards in 9 and 10 I get the same error with only cpu 2 in slot 10 working. On 2 occasions I did get all 4 cpu's but that's out of about 40 boots. The power modules are all in place and have no red led's lit up either. Any ideas? I read one post about doing a fulll disassembly anddust out so I'll probably try that next. Oh, one of the fans for the pci slots is bad too, gives me a 1611, but both cpu fans look fine

Phil

O.K. figured it out. I used a linux boot disk to try some scsi drivers and did not go into system configuration and reset the cpu's. I guess that the boot disk only used 1 cpu and that flagged it as only having 1. When I entered the config utility it asked "Did you exchange the faulty cpu?" I replyed yes and their all showing as good again. I am definately a 'nix noob, but that's what this box is for - learning on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back